Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recently changed to Methadone

rheology123rrheology123 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
I've been on Oxy10 IR 2tabs every 4hrs (120mgs/day) for about 4-5yrs. Over the last year the effectiveness has gradually started to decrease. I'm also on 1mg Klonopin every 8hrs. I've been on the Klonopin since March when I was diagnosed with Crohns. Before that I had been on 10mg of Valium every 8hrs for about 4yrs that I used as a muscle relaxer. I tapered myself slowly off of the Valium because it was dragging me down more and more, I stayed off of all Benzos for about 8-9 months then was diagnosed with Crohns, the Klonopin helps my stomach. I have a 2 stage ACDF in my cervical spine with a 3 stage laminoplasty. I also have 3 herniated disc in my thoracic spine, 2 of which are causing significant spinal cord impaction. I have a tendon in my left shoulder that is torn in 3 places as well. So anyway that is my medical and medication history. My PM just switched me to 40mg/day Methadone, 20mg twice/day. I've been on the Methadone for about 5 days and while I've had no adverse effects to the medication it just isn't strong enough. At the absolute best it works as well as my old medicine but that is in very short bursts that are few and far between. Generally speaking it doesn't work as well as my previous medication. The positive thing is my PM did say after giving the medication 4-5 days to work to just come in, no appointment required, to titrate the dosage until a sufficient level is reached. Do many of you have experience going from Oxycodone to Methadone and how did it work out for you?

Thank You

• I have switched from 4 years of Oxy use to Methadone over a year ago. Now I was not on as high dosages of Oxy and I started out on 15 mg a day of Methadone 3 times a day. When I started taking Methadone my pm dr told me that Methadone deal with the liver, and has something called half lives. Because of the liver, and half lives it takes awhile for Methadone to build up in your system. It can take up to a month for it to start to build up, and start to work. I have had my Methadone tweaked twice, and I'm now up to 30 mg a day. It seems to be about every 6 months, but I hope this stops. Reason, I really like Methadone compared to Oxy. Less side effects for me, no jitters, no euphoric feeling, light headedness, no itchy skin, or jabber jaws. I can do things again. The first time in almost 4 yrs.
  • First I want to say that many medications have various effects on different people. I have seen posts where people said that methadone was like a miracle for them. I have also seen posts from people who said methadone was a very bad experience like it was for me.

I also was taking oxycodone before my doctor switched me to methadone. I'm not sure what to tell you except to be careful. Maybe ask someone close to you if they can keep an eye on you. It can make you very sleepy when you first start but that may get better with time.

Methadone can be bad for dry mouth and for the health of your teeth. After about 6 months i had teeth cracking or chipping about every month. It can also be hard to go off it if that becomes necesary. As you may know, it is also used for people addicted to heroin or other opiates and some claim it is harder to go off of than heroin.

• Well so far I have had no adverse effects to the Methadone. It doesn't work as well as the Oxy so I'm having pretty bad pain issues. While the pain gets bad at times I'm just dealing at with it at the moment. When I see the Dr. again I'm going to try and get him to bump the Methadone to 10mgs every 8hrs rather than every 12hrs and that should resolve my pain issues based on how I feel. I have noticed one thing, if I take the Methadone and Klonopin together I get way more tired then when I took it with the Oxy. I'm still taking my Klonopin but I'm staggering it instead of taking it at the same time I take the Methadone I'm taking less Klonopin per day on average.
  • I went through quick detox to get off methadone and I could not deal with the chronic pain so my Dr. put me on oxycontin. The price of oxycontin is so expensive that after 2 months my insurance did not cover me and I had to apply through Purdue Pharma. I have gone through hell with this program when they take 2 weeks to process my prescription forcing me to get partial scripts and causing my Dr. to question my depedence on the drug. The new rubber oxycontin have caused me to break out in rashes, get severe headaches and they are no where near as pain relieving as the old oxycontin. Thanks all you drug addicts for screwing the real pain sufferes up.
  • rheology123,

It is typical for methadone to be started at lesser doses to see how you tolerate it and then raised up to a level that works for the pain. I think one of the main reasons is the sleepiness that occurs in a lot of people, but that usually gets better once you have been on the same dose for a while.

Good luck and happy new year

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And it works pretty well. At 40 to 50 mg. a day, spread out about every 4-5 hr. But my P.M. Dr. gives me Hydrocodone for break through pain. A break through med might be what you may need. Methadone is dirt cheap, by the way, so insurance co. like it.
    When your triated out right. It's a very long lasting drug. It stays in your system for a long while.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!