Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feet like lead pipes!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
My feet are always numb and feel fat even tho they aren't, but I swear they feel like these two big things I'm trying to walk on this past weekend. They have never been this bad. What is causing this wierd feeling I wonder.. They aren't swollen but sure feel like they are, I about broke my neck hauling the damn things up the steps yesterday. Now I been getting a lot more shocks of nerve pain in them too, which is usually limited to night time mostly. Yesterday I was sitting down and my foot was jumping underneath, like someone had put an electrical prod on it and I could see it doing it - very wierd. I guess the old gal is slowly unraveling...

• Doesnt sound good. When are you supposed to go back to your neurologist? Seems like things are changing for the worse.
  • I'm not.. I see a PM once a month - that's it. Haven't been to him for about 3 years. Last time he just said it will worsen with time and nothing they can do - so what would be the point of spending a bunch of money for no reason. This last doc said about the same thing, my cord or whatever it is looks constricted in 3 spots and that is why the numbness, my feet feel cold, and electrical feeling shocks in my feet. Doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it apparantely.
  • Oh wow, Marion!! I've had that numbness and electric shock jumping only from when my feet have fallen asleep, or when they're really cold and just starting to warm up. There was one other time, I was attempting to do a 13 km (8mi) ruck march so I could get my promotion, only made it halfway, because my leg and foot were completely numb. Once I sat down and rested, my foot started jumping like that, too. My foot felt so heavy, like it was stuck in a block of concrete. Thankfully it went away after a few hours. Have you got another opinion from a neuro or NS? there might be something new they can do or something?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I agree with Kelly. Sounds like it is time to talk to a new neurologist. Cord impingement at three places?? And nothing they can do?? Sure there are times that the cure is worse than the problem or it's just not time yet to do something. But I would monitor that very closely especially now that your symptoms are increasing.
  • Oh dear, I thought that I was the only person who had HEAVY feet. Most of the time when I walk my feet feel like Frankenstein would walk. I'm pretty sure it's all coming from my back problems. I have a multitude of bone, muscle problems like most everybody does on these boards. I've cancelled so many appts. with any doctor but my primary doctor. Hope all gets relief, it's just not for "sissies" is it?
  • I agree, it's a waste of money and time.. Why keep going when they just keep saying, sorry, nothing we can do for that it will just get worse... Sometimes it just sucks. I like the frankenstein feet analogy tho, that's about what it feels like, then the doc zaps a bit of electricity into them to make them dance. UGH...
  • Marion,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. My nerves down there are L2 & 3, so not much below the knee. Most of my right hand is numb, and like your feet "not" swollen, but they feel like they are all the time! I call them my sausage fingers! I'm guessing since much of the sensation isn't there, the little information that is getting through is what makes "us" feel like the hand or foot is fat?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • lol, I always likened it to having my feet encased in concrete, you know, like in the movies, what the mob does to a person when they don't want them to float? lol

Hope you're feeling better today!! Just a couple of more days, and you'll be off for a couple extra with the holidays. Of course, I bet work is a holiday right now without the hags there, lol
  • That is pretty funny too, sausage fingers, that is exactly it too! O.K., I guess I am fortunate it is my feet and NOT my fingers or hands. Lord knows if i couldn't play my guitar I would really be having a cow! giving up the horse was one thing, not playing, I cannot even imagine life without it!!!
  • There is a lot of truth to that too! I just watched season one of Wiseguy with Ken Wahl so I know exackilackily what your saying! LOL! YES, today is it for me baby.. I’m leaving a couple hours early too; I have got to pick up the last few items and Kristian is working today instead of school (he’s out for 2 weeks Christmas vacation) so he wants to meet for lunch. That will be fun. That kid is a riot, I adore my boy!
    Speaking of the hags, there are two here today and walking around passing out Christmas goodies to everyone, except me. Not that I care, but it sure didn’t go unnoticed. I could never do such a thing, even if I despised someone. I could never alienate someone like that – these people are really a piece of… Well I was gonna say a piece of work, but I think there may be a stronger term that would work better. LOL!
  • mouse - I was having that and my Dr said I was starting to have foot drop. We were able to correct it with a LOT of therapy.

Can your injury cause foot drop?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Marion,

Yeah I titled them "sausage fingers" as that seemed best to describe them. The area above my Palmer's crease is the same - feels fat, but when I compare to my other hand "NORMAL" looking! Sigh - nerves suck though! (G)

Your comment below about the "hags", ROFLA!!!! I so remember seeing our admin staff doing just what you described. To hag 1... "Why didn't you give some of your cookies to "A"? "I don't like her, that's why, I don't care if she is dead tomorrow." "Oh gee, that is so mature...NOT" (G) Me since I was a supervisor, they gave me treats - guess they thought that would help on the end of year reviews and awards! NOT!! Hehehehhe I can be rented, but NEVER bought! Rofla!!!

• Being a supervisor has it's perks sometimes doesn't it? LOL Until it comes to those end year evals, I so hated having to write them. One of the things I definitely will not miss!!! hehe When we were over in Bosnia, my deputy commanding officer and I did not shall we say, see exactly eye to eye on anything and everything. We were there over christmas, and whenever he would get a care package from his wife, he would bring the box around and give everyone treats, except for me. It was noted, by not only me, but all the captains that I worked with, and eventually (after me exploding at him one day, slamming the door to our offices so hard it broke the glass) they went to the commanding officer and complained to him. But it was kind of hard for them not to, as apparently the CO came out of his office right after that happened and asked what was going on, lol. After that he was sweet as pie to me not only for the month we had left there, but even for the years after on our base, he always made a point of waving and saying hi, even when he would drive past me as I was running in the morning... What a douche... I'm just glad he knew exactly how I felt about him from day one, lol.

Marion, I hope you are having a good few days off!!!
  • Kelly,

Sorry not trying to hijack... yeah, they seem to think if they "suck up" at the end of the year, "life is good." Yeah right! I use to send out an email, and in it, I asked "please tell me "WHAT" did YOU do that exceeded your job duties this year....

It was amazing how many NON replies I got, and they expected a reward?? Ummmm... okay!! Hehehhehe!! If they couldn't even tell me, well? "Things that make you go hummmmm???

(EG) Brenda
  • what that is? Foot drop - I'll have to google it. I have never heard of that..
  • It's not good :(

When you google it the lead pipe feeling may not come up unless your lucky. It did not show up for me, my Dr. is the one who told me that it can feel like that.

Is this feeling any better for you ?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • It is definately much worse in the mornings when I get up - can't hardly walk for that and other reasons LOL! But it is better by afternoon. This spine stuff is just wierd and it seems you continually get curve balls just when you think you might have some of it figured out!
  • Curve balls... that is so true!! Rolling along "normally" then ZAP, something else comes out of the blue...

How are the blocks today? (hehe)
  • Marion,

Just came across your thread and something to consider is that it may not becoming off of your spine. I had some issues with my foot/leg and because I have had RSD or CRPS, they needed to look to see if it was coming back. Now they already know i have a herniated disc at l4-l5, but they wanted to check to be sure, so did a emg. To everyone's surprise it is a issue with a peroneal nerve both common and deep and tarssel tunnel. Both of those supply the foot so while I go in and out of foot drop meaning some days it is so noticeable and some days depending on activity not to noticeable at all. One of the conditions of it is you don't have control of the small muscles of the feet. So for example when i transfer feet you will see me do a manuver of like say a drunk person. Same thing happens when I when i round a corner or pivot.

So i guess i am saying it is worth getting it checked out just to be sure it is or isn't spine related. Now to my knowledge heavy legs or feet is also a symptom of stenosis. So for awhile there it was really confusing what it was as the symptoms kind of changed or alter depending on the day. The last neck surgery changed some of the heaviness. But sense I live with underlying myelopathy kind of hard to tell some days which is which. But I encourage you to go have it checked by say a foot doctor just to be sure. I would also say because i need bi-lateral knee replacements it does contribute to my weight bearing. There is also a simple way to check if your foot pattern is even. Walk in some water then on a concrete surface and check to be sure your patterns or the same by the tracks they make. Now i didn't learn that on my own the docs have me check it now and then to be sure i am still on both feet evenly so to speak. I would just hate for you to think it is your spine and there is a easier fix like shoe inserts and you wouldn't be so miserable with it.

Okay done I didn't mean to write a book to you, sorry.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I think my foot problems are unlike yours. Mine get numb then hurt, then it's like their on fire. Like walking on a bed of red hot nails.
    And I trip going up the stairs. I have to watch closely how high my foot goes. Cause they don't receive the right signal from my brain and don't go up as high as they are supposed to.
    But it's all nerve problems that we are having, just different nerves.
    But if I had nerve impingement. I would definatly get some imaging done. You could be damaging them more. By not addressing the issue.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Stopping by to see how you are doing :)
  • Post deleted due to spam violations.
    authority member Cindy, aka neck of steel
This discussion has been closed.