Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flag as Offensive

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 01/09/2014 - 5:29 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Many people have asked me what that button is and whats it all about.

In short, it will send a message to the moderator staff when a member clicks the button to 'complain' about a given post.

I will be completely honest here.... My team hardly reviews that data. I go in from time to time to see whats in there.
The problem with the way it has been implemented, it doesnt give many options on how to deal with the situation.

So, as a member you want to report a problem, so you use that button. Now, what happens?

When we do look at the reports, our options are to either ALLOW the post to stand WARN the offender or BAN the offender.
That doesnt really cover all grounds.

We would much prefer that when you have a problem with a post, a member, a rule, etc contact someone on my team via PM. This way you are guaranteed to get a response.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• LOL - ok - this makes sense now! cheers!
  • What is the point of having that button if no one reviews it on a regular basis? If your prefered contact method is a PM, then why doesn't the flag as offensive do that? Can't it be programmed that the Flag as Offensive button Pm's a Mod?

It really makes no sense to have that button is no one reviews that data.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I have been looking into removing that button.
    Right now, it is still a method of reporting abusive type problems. Looking at what is reported there vs what we get as PMs, I have to say that the Flag as Offensive is more oriented to people having problems with people.

Over the past several years, I have seen about a dozen Flag as offensive reports that really needed to be followed up on. There were so many to the tune, I dont like this person, they dont like me, etc..

I would say that if I didnt even make this post, the majority of people wouldnt give this a second thought.

But, I totally agree with the fact that IF we provide a button, then it should have value and a meaning behind it. I do like the idea about that button being a PM to a moderator which will get more attention.

Snookie, I am taking your suggestions forward to see what can be done.
  • I appreciate that. I have only used that button a couple of times, for me I used it when I found a post offensive (excessive foul words), or spam. It seems absurd to me to have a button for offensive posts and then tell people not to use it, that it is not effective, and to Pm instead.
  • I know for me, that I found it easier to just systematically read through the daily posts. I will pop in and check for flags periodically, but the majority of the time the most recent flag is 2 or 3 months old if not older. Most folks tend to have an Admin, Mod or Authority member they like to send PM's to if they see a problem post. So it really became so redundant it lost most of it's effectiveness unfortunately. And as Ron said, it was primarily people complaining about problems with other people.

• I know for me, the very few times I've had issues, I just PM a mod...Works great, lasts a long time! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My concern is which mod do you PM? How would someone know who is on or going to be on soon?

It would seem wiser to use the flag button for all reports so that any mod who is on can handle the problem as quickly as possible. Also many people don't know who to send a PM to or don't want to take the time to go to the PM section and try to send a message that references a specific post.

I know that I have used that button many times to highlight a spam post or a few times a post that seemed to be getting out of hand so a mod can follow it. I'm pretty surprised to hear that you get messages about someone not liking someone else....is this junior high?

You guys do a great job. Just seems that having one spot would be a better idea and easier for you.
  • I review the log on a daily basis after I've done my morning spam rounds.

I have been slowly cleaning out the log so we can start fresh. Unfortunately, it's a slow process.

Dave is a brave soul that beyond what he normally takes care of, he goes into the abuse moderation and takes care of those items.

The 'moderation' of those Flagged as Offensive items is a very slow task.

We will be going through the list of current items (88) and take care of them. We have a goal to get them down to Zero and then make a decision to keep the function or remove it
  • I would just delete anything more that a week old. No point dealing with anything older than that since you probably already have through other channels.
    I am looking into doing that... Dave had made a good suggestion to me about just that.
    Unless I find another way, its just one at a time... (and each one takes a long time to deal with)

But no question, whats the point in having items that are several weeks or months old. Reading the information in some of those reports, they have been taken care of by messages to the moderator team.

I am working with the development team to see how this function can best work. Personally, I would like to eliminate that and replace it with a button to send to the moderator team... Your concern regarding Which One? is valid. Most of you know that the adimin/moderator/authority team are 100% volunteers, so we are not on all the time.

But, I know that members of the team check in at least every other day and for most, its daily, so they will pick up any messages. I would like to see it use a selection of which Moderator you would like to send a message to. Much like the way Contact Moderator Members

This gives members a choice in who to send the message to. I think that is a good method. Everyone has their own personality, so there is no question that some people like to interact with one member of the team vs another one. Its the members choice. And if they dont have any choice, then anyone would work.
  • When you PM one of the team, we're always in contact with each other so basically PMing one with a public problem is like PMing us all. A PM with a problem to any of the team will always end up going to the one who can deal with it best in a relatively short amount of time. Basically, we are the Borg.

However, with that said, if you were to PM one of us confidentially, it does not automatically go to the entire team, it remains confidential unless specifically asked to share with the team. Each of us still has PM that is private until purposely shared.

Hope that makes sense...
  • Good for you Dave. I tried moderating spam via that way then cleaning it up. I was reading it daily. There is a bug and some issues trying to actually delete entries. They come back and bite you too if the userid got deleted. The software does not like Anonymous vs the original id that caused the Spam post. So you find a ton of Anonymous dribble posts or entries that you simply can't delete via the tool you have. You need a programmer to actually clean up the DB so you can start fresh.

Then delete all the bad threads created by the spammer *before* you delete their id.

I've found some other things with the management of Drupal that you need to follow or it leaves a mess you can't clean up.

Other than that the Flag as Offensive would actually work quite well. Most of those threads should be deleted, not edited. Go look in the Exercise or Diet section. The spammers love to hit it. There are lots of junk threads in there that are edited and have no useful info in them. They should be deleted.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I have used that button a few times. But nothing happened. And I didn't get a response. So I kinda figured it was useless. And haven't used it In a very long time. I think one of the members I flagged did eventually get banned (hurray) But I don't think me using that button had anything to do with it.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm on the site everyday first thing in the morning when I get to work. I check it several times through out the work day and usually twice in the evening, Eastern Standard Time. I only check things a couple of times on the weekends.

Happy Holidays to every one.