Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vertigo after Cervical Neck Surgery - C5, C6

jksmith55jjksmith55 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
If anyone reads this post and developed Vertigo after their surgery, please respond if there was any further treatment and if it finally went away. It especially comes on if my husband turns his neck to the right? Still experiencing numbness in his left arm? Please reply.

• I have vertigo...50 days post op and I still have it. Never experienced it before surgery and my Neuro was also miffed about this. I did quite a bit of searching on the web, and nerve issues of the neck can cause vertigo. My thinking is that when the Dr was in there moving stuff around, he stirred up my "vertigo nerve" for lack of medical terminology. It has gotten somewhat better...but it is still there and gets me way off kilter. I thought I was the only one who'd experienced this too. Sorry your H is going thru this as well..........it really is a very annoying sensation. I think that since I've been sleeping on my side, this has helped get my "crystals in my ear" back in place a little more. I just want it to go away completely. Oh to feel normal after this surgery!
  • Vertigo most times is related to the Vestibular nerves, the ones that serve the ears. He maybe could have an infection in one of his ears? A tilt test can rule out the ears. I've never had vertigo with any of my cervical fusions. But thought I would toss that out. I hope he feels better soon.

"Vertigo nerve?" Never heard of that...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yeah Brenda...lmao....No such animal, but I read where cervical nerve damage could cause vertigo. I wish Id saved the link.

• Yes, correct! There have been folks that have developed this after cervical surgery, no question, be it due to posture changes, or surgical changes. Hopefully it is a simple fix. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I had a couple of instances of vertigo after my ACDF surgery. I think it was about four times, and each one was when I was in front of a mirror, two times sitting and getting my hair cut. It was the strangest sensation...but I've had no more than those four episodes.

I hope it goes away on its own. This spiney stuff is all so strange sometimes.

• only when I looked into a mirror. Mine is constant, sitting, standing, looking right/left/up/down/leaning turning in my sleep. it's not a bad as it was 2 weeks ago. But it's still around. Hope your Husband's vertigo gets better soon.