Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lavenderthistlellavenderthistle Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok...my first therapy appointment is today. I got the prescription in the mail and the official diagnosis appears to be cervical spondylosis right C5-C6 stenosis; ulnar neuropathy.

I also whacked the back of my neck on the underside of a sink Sunday night diving for something I dropped in the dark then raising back up I seemed to have forgotten I went under the sink, as a result the therapist will have a nasty bruise and swollen spot to figure out.

Any words of wisdom? I am planning to bring my list 'o symptoms and what makes it better to therapy. Anything I should specifically ask about? Avoid? I've heard this place is good.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Bring in all the information you have. Normally, most PT and Rehab centers will have you fill in a pretty detail information sheet that identifies your current problem, past medical history, current medications, pain levels and your expectations from physical therapy.

Then its off to see the actual therapist. The more you can communicate to them, the better the entire situation will be.

For an overall of Physical Therapy take a look at Physical Therapy 101
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Try to be as positive as possible. Many people go in with a bad/negative attitude...thinking pt can't help. Of course they usually have bad experiences. I love PT and love my therapist. He has helped prepare me for many surgeries and helped me recover very quickly after each.

What I will say is that not all therapists are the same. Give them a chance (2-3 weeks) but if you don't feel comfortable and happy look around. Of course you have to expect to feel some discomfort as they work to tone your muscles. Whats the saying "no pain no gain". ANd PT is work. I came out of most sessions sweating a little and tired.

Good luck today. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Oh and todays appt will be pretty long as they will do an eval. After that it is usually about an hour.
  • The first day was great! because of the bruise they did the eval, traction and muscle stim only then used this amazing heating pad. Wednesday I spent several hours in the collar with nasty spasms. I knew it was coming too...I could feel it tightening as I did more...the stretching was the worst part. It was eye opening to see how weak my right hand and arm are! I had no clue!! Therapy Thursday was great. I had less spasms and less pain after, I didn't need to really rest until after about 5 pm. Friday was ok, I still did range of motion, Saturday (Merry Christmas) I started feeling not so great in the evening. Sunday (today) is horrible horrible horrible!! I think something is up with the weather. This bruise on my neck is irritating, it feels like electric stimulation...I am assuming it's ok and just healing. The ulnar neuropathy has been nailed down to my scalenes. My collarbone hurts horribly most of the time since therapy on Wednesday. Also, something must be releasing because I had no numbness in my thumb before, but now I do. That was where I was 'supposed' to be feeling numbness based on the MRI...so now my entire right hand spends about half the day numb...I think this is progress?. :) I know it will go away eventually, it's just funny to have something be more numb and weak and have it be a good thing. (I have a sick sense of humour)

Therapy happens again on Tuesday and Thursday...I need to figure out what day to schedule my third visit for the week. I have this for 3 more weeks then I go visit the pain medicine Dr. for her evaluation.

It was funny the first real day of therapy...I tried to go to the leg machines because that's what I've been in therapy so many times for before! The older people were laughing at me because my bands were weaker than theirs and my arm was wiped out. :)