Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

curious.. anyone know what the difference is between an alif and stalif?

mkim680mmkim680 Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering if its almost the same or different? Also, is the recovery on these two methods different or the same.

• I was scheduled to have an ALIF on the 13th which would have used a plate and bone marrow graft to create room for the nerve roots in the the L5-S1 area. I believe the Stalif is merely a different kind of insert (a stand alone one) which my doctor prefers using hardware to increase stability. The benefits of doing the surgery through the front (anterior) is that it is supposed to be a faster healing time.

Unfortunately, the vascular surgeon was unable to get my major veins far enough out of the way to make the anterior approach work without grave risk so I ended up with a modified PLIF fusion after they closed up the front and started over in the back where they again ran into some problems.

I am certainly hoping the thoughts about the ALIF reacovery being easier are true - because I sure wouldn't want to picture anything worse than the current recovery I am undergoing - semi truck, Wiley E Coyote, Freight train - you name it and we definitely met last Monday:)