Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

got my bone stimulator today

weavemanwweaveman Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, today I got my new bone stimulator. It's an ebt2 by biomet. Doctor told me to wear it for 4 hours a day, but the rep that brought it said to wear it as much as possible, that 24 hours a day wasn't too much.

Surgery was nov.30, 2 level 360 fusion, hardware with bmp, and bone stimulator 3 weeks after surgery. Hopefully this will stop any chance of pseudoarthrosis. Hopefully.

• whats it feel like? I had a 3 level lumbar PLIF dec 7. I go in for my bone growth stimulator the first week in january. Please share. I know its like a tens unit but is it the same intensity or does it feel different?
  • I have one just like Kevin's and I don't notice any
    "feeling" from it. I am 14 weeks post op PLIF 3 level fusion had it since week 2 when they took out the staples. I am also fusing well. Saw fusion on x-ray at 7 weeks. Last x-ray was last week or so at 12 weeks. Still looking good. I am menopausal so I was worried about the bone fusion because it seems that often times women in this age group don't fuse good (osteoporosis (sp) I guess) but I have. Surgeon also used bmp. No worries for you...stay well..Traci
  • Thanks for the info! I'll post when I go get mine.
  • Hooks up just like a tens unit, but you don't feel the electrical pulses at all. To be honest, if it wasnt' for the cords hanging off my back, I wouldn't know it was there at all. Atleast that's the way this one is, as I've seen different ones with different mounting ideas.

To everyone that has one and has or had used it, how long every day did you wear it? I'm going to wear it all day and probably take it off for bed so I don't wreck it rolling over, but if that's overkill, I will wear it less. I am definitely clarifying it with the doc at my next appointment.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Same one I had. I was instructed by the doctor and the rep that delivered it to wear it 24 hours a day. Mine came with square "paper" tapes you put over the pads so I could go 3-4 days before I had to change the actual sticky pads. Needed my husband's help for that as my skin would get a tiny bit irritated so he had to pick a new spot in the same area to put them on. As for showering I'd disconnect it from the battery pack and let the cords hang down while showering. Rep said that was fine. I had to get shorts to sleep in so I could have the battery pack in the pocket. A few months after surgery I finally did a thing where I started sleeping with it but when it started beeping (disconnect or battery) I'd take it off. The first few weeks after surgery I wasn't moving around much in bed so it was easy. When I started sleeping on my side then that little pesky battery pack got in the way.

My batteries started dying at about 4 months. I called my rep. She was great and told me to send her a list of what other things I may need. I also needed more of the square papers to put around the sticky pads and one of my cords that ran to the battery pack seemed to have developed a short. I don't know what she did but she sent me like 10 cords, 200 paper tapes, etc. If you ever need something you can't get let me know.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I saw the sticky papers in the bag, but being a hairy guy makes me reluctant to try them. Thanks for the offer, the company rep promised replacements on anything I may need, but we'll see when the time comes.

So, how long have you been wearing it, or if you're already fused, how long did it take? I am so hoping it's not just a gimmick and really helps. Seems to be alot of gimmicks in the medical field these days.

• When I had my surgery it looked like a tv set. I strapped it on front and back and tied it together. It worked for 4 hours a day and shut off automatically. Never felt anything from it but I was fused in about 9 months completely so it must have worked.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • I hope this really helps you. I am still considering getting mine - just not sure yet.

If you wires come lose you may want to shave your back, so you can use the covers - hey it's the athletic thing to do now days lol ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I wore mine continually for 3-4 months and then more like 8 hr/day for the next two months.

Without the paper tapes the pads will fall off so easily so I suggest trying them. They are light and don't seem to pull hair/skin. Without them I would have had to change the pads daily as they start to fall off with shower, perspiration, etc.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I ended up using the sticky pads to cover the nodes up. Kept falling off otherwise when I was trying to sleep. I woke up yesterday morning feeling nauseous so I took it off for awhile. I have a feeling that after getting sick, that it's more likely that the kids brought me the stomach flu than it being the stimulators fault though.
  • I really wish I would have been given one, I did a ton of research and I think they DO work - all my docs seem to believe they are placebo or only indicated after a significant amount of time passes...