Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there light?

mike3767mmike3767 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello and I'm new to this forum and looking to get some answers or feedback. I'm 35 years old and work for the City as a fire fighter. I herniated my C5, C6 in March of this year while lifting weights. This is when all my frustrations began in my life! I injured it on a Friday and on Saturday, I felt like my arm was going to fall off. Saturday night I decided to go to the ER and the ER doc came in my room and told me to move my arm up down and side to side. This took about 1 minute, the doc said I pulled a muscle. Sunday rolled around and I told my wife I can't handle it! Monday came and I decided to go to an ortho doctor because I thought I had torn my rotator. He took X rays and made me do some movements and came to the conclusion that I might have herniated a disc but take celebrex and to call him in a week and half to let him know how I was doing. Well, Tuesday rolled around and I said enough was enough. My wife sells spine equipment and told me to go to a doctor that she works with. So I did and after an MRI, they found the problem. The doctor says a huge herniation in C5 & 6. Finally some answers!

He said due to my age and me being young he wanted to hold off on surgery to see if maybe it would get better, so he sent me to a doctor that specializes in injections. I had one done with no relief. Almost a month after the injury, I had an ACDF done. I had no post op problems and felt great! About 2 months after, I noticed pain & numbness starting in my right arm (same place were it was prior to surgery) and pain in my neck. The surgeon sent me to PT and was placed in traction for about 15 minutes every visit. I went to PT for about 3 weeks. I had no relief. So now were almost into January and I still have the pain, numbness and tingling in the right arm along with pain in the neck. The neck pain feels like I have a ton of weight on my head and it's compressing my neck. If I try to touch my left shoulder with my ear, I have a stabbing pain that is on the right side of my neck. I try to touch my chin to my chest and I have the same pain. If I move my head in any direction I can hear a grinding noise. Last Thursday I went in to have injections done. One on each side next to the jugular vein. HOLY crap did that hurt.

So I'm looking for some advice or if anyone has had this same issue. I'm getting tired of dealing with my arm & neck pain and wondered what is next for me? Sorry for writing a book, its just that I'm looking for answers or past experience. The other question I have is the last 9 months, I've been on Percocet for about 2/3 of the time. Is this bad? What really sucks is me being a fireman, I can't take pain pills at work so I'm miserable while working and when I get home in the morning, I take pain pills and all day you get that funny feeling. The last thing is, do the people with pain like mine feel guilt? I hate calling my doctor to refill my pain meds because of all the bad press with addiction. I don't want my doctor thinking this.

• I have not had neck problems but I have had my share of the rest of the spine problems. When I first injured my back they sent me for esi also. I did not like them at all and until the 4 shot I didn't notice any difference. My dr told me that the shots had to be done in a series of at least 3 with the times inbetween them right or they will not work. In regards to the pain meds with all the dope heads and all does make it ruff for the rest of us. It is a shame that when somebody really needs meds that it is even a thought. I don't feel guilty at all about needing the meds but do feel like the drs think your a dope head or something for asking for them. I will be going to drs tomorrow for first surgery post op visit and trust me the meds I need now will be no problem to ask for because I know I need them and if someone needs meds it shoulded be a problem to get them from a dr. It seems like your doctors are getting you in to try to get ya back to health pretty fast as they also did with me and from what others have gone threw it is a blessing for that at least. Well hope this helps ya a little and that for doing the job you do.
  • Mike have you seen a neurologist or orthopedist since your surgery? Since it may be nerve pain I would go to a neurologist but there are orthopedist who specialize in spines. THere are other meds that can help. If it is nerve pain they often use anti-depressants. It its muscle spasms there are muscle relaxants. Some people still need opiates but if you can figure out where the pain is coming from you can have relief 24 hrs a day.

Hope this helps. No reason to be living in pain.