Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just prescribed Lyrica for nerve damage

turbo313tturbo313 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone else been prescribed this and did it make it any better? Just a brief background, a year ago I had a C4-C6 laminectomy to remove a golf ball size tumor from within my spinal cord. My arms and legs were jerking uncontrollably, that is what made me go to a doctor.
Since then, I have had numbness on my right side. Then, a year to that day, my arms started jerking again and my neck pain was becoming unbearable. After 3 doctors visits, I got a consensus I needed spinal fusion surgery to put back some support in my neck that the laminectomy took out. In October, I had a C3-C6 spinal fusion. The pain in my neck was gone immediately, and for a brief time, I got feeling back on my right side. the numbness has returned, but it is something I will have to live with. I have extensive damage to my spinal cord from the tumor, but am able to function.

so, back to the lyrica. My arms and legs are jerking again, and my doctor says it is from the damage done to my spinal cord and it is something I will deal with for the rest of my life. so, he prescribed the lyrica to help calm the nerves. has anyone else experienced this?

thank you...connie
advertisement

Comments

• I've been on it for about 6 weeks now. Just got up to 125 mg 2x a day. I take it at dinner and bed since it makes me tired. Only problem I have is waking up and being clumsy for a few minutes. It does seem to be helping at this level.
  • In 2005,I had a 360Fusion of lower back (L5-S1) and took Lyrica to help with the pain until I finished rehab.... It was the only thing that helped.

I just had my entire neck fused and a corpectomy C4-C5 on Dec.2-3, 2010. My doctor put me on Lrica again because of the nerve pain in my left arm. It seems to be working again but hopefully I won't have to take it after I'm fully rehabed.

Lyrica makes me too drowzy, dopy, tired, ect.... but it's still better than taking massive doses of pain meds......
  • I've been on it for over a year now (150mg 2x a day), and it has knocked my nerve pain down like 80-85%! I hope you have similar results. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi all and Merry Christmas!

I had 3 neck surgeries on C4 through C7 and experienced major cervical nerve damage where I feel burning and numbness in my neck under my collar bone and it wraps around my arm pit and shoots down my arm with any arm movement it increases the pain.

I was put on Lyrica almost six months ago I was on 175MG 4 times a day. I started loosing my memory because it was to much so then they put me on 175mgx3 and it works great as long as I do not move my arms much.It has has reduced the pain at least 65 percent for me. So really it depends on the person and their symptoms.

Be careful though if you notice any memory loss please tell your doctor asap..

I hope this helps.
  • I started Lyrica two years ago. I started very gradually - 25mg BID, and my PM gave me prescriptions until I found my level - 100mg BID. I was very nervous about the side effects, and I'm very sensitive to meds, so that's why I went up slowly. Some people put on weight/retain water - I got what I call my Lyrica 10 (I put on 10lbs) which wasn't too bad for me (I went from 130 to 140 lbs). It does make me very sleepy - I sleep 10 hours a night now (I also take some oxycontin 10mg BID) - and when I don't get my full 10 hours, I'm VERY sleepy, forgetful, and with the oxy, it makes me argumentative/easily upset. But it really helped with my hip pain, and with arm pain I now have. I really like it, and prefer it as my base med to oxy drugs. I don't work, so I'm able to get the sleep I need - so Lyrica just generally makes me feel happy, and a little silly/clumsy. But definitely worth it.

For anyone on Lyrica - BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DECIDE TO STOP OR CUT BACK - Your Dr MUST be involved - the side effects from when you stop taking it can be fierce, so I hear.
  • I am on 50mg taken once a day, she prescribed taking it at night, but it doesn't make me drowsy. so I took it this morning and was fine...no nerve pain, no tingling, no muscle spasms. I have vicodin just in case and a few muscle relaxers. so far, so good but it hasn't had a chance to build up in my system yet either.

i started to have shooting pain in my neck yesterday that went from the base of my skull to my shoulder...no idea why it started but the lyrica helped so i guess this is a long time drug i will be on.
  • As for stopping Lyrica. The key is this; "Why you are on it in the first place." If for nerve pain and seizures, yeah, don't even think about skipping doses or stopping it. For straight nerve pain, *most* wouldn't have a problem. About every 3 weeks, I skip a couple to 3 doses to see where my nerve pain is. My NS has no problem with that. :)

Brenda
  • Hopefully you will find the right dose needed to get your nerve pain under control, or nearly so. There are other nerve meds, but me, I lucked out with Lyrica, so can't comment on them. I hope it works out for ya!! *HUG*

Brenda
advertisement