Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op 3 level lumbar PLIF

fused78ffused78 Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just thought I would make a post, I've been lurking around chat the last few days. My name is Steve and I had a 3/4 4/5 5/s1 PLIF on December 7th. I also had a pars defect that was repaired during this surgery.

Other than some strange sensations in my feet that are different than pre-op and the adjustment in how I can and have to move while healing I think Im doing pretty good. I was out of the house last night and went to see some christmas lights decorating a neighborhood not to far from my home. I thought all was well but once I got home I had some pretty serious back pain, and I'm still feeling it this morning.
I think I can feel the screws in there ( I had 8 installed + 2 rods and some other thing across horizontally near the top level fused) Really achey today, presumably from the bumpy car and the cold last night.

Are there any others in here that have had a 3 level PLIF and how are you doing? What should I expect? any tips?

I think so far so good. I know its a long road ahead.

• I had my 2 level with hardware nov.30 and can still feel the hardware in my back. I'm laying in bed as we speak, because I'm wore out, in pain, and started heaving from trying to keep my toddlers occupied for a few hours so my wife could do errands. Like everything that you keep reading on these posts, take it easy and let your body heal. I say this to you, but am also reminding myself right now. For me, riding in a car isn't so bad, it's getting in and out that gets the pain going. I avoid it just for that reason.
  • I had 4 level fusion from L2-S1 in 2002 with 8 rods and 12 screws. I still have pain and aches if I do too much walking or sitting, if I bend or twist suddently.

You are doing very well to be up and around so soon. You will have sore achy muscles always. You will always be able to feel the screws and rods too. YOu get used to them and I hardly even think about them anymore.

My best advice is walk, walk, walk, and when you are tired from walking walk some more. It is the best rehab out there.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had an L3-S1 fusion 02/2010. I had a prior fusion L4-S1 so they removed that hardware, put in new hardware and added L3.

PLIF take quite a while to heal from. And you are like me, you may be fine while doing an activity but the pain later is bad. Take pain meds as prescribed and if they aren't working let the doc know.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos