Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 week post op

sawinlogsssawinlogs Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well it has been two weeks since going for my l4 5 l5 s1 fusion. I am feeling pretty good but still have quit a bit of pain if I don't take meds on time. If I take them reguarly the pain is just about gone which feels great but odd in the same way because it is the first days in about a year that I am out of pain. I have post op appointment today which I am so looking forward to getting out of the house for the first time since surgery. I hope dr will refill meds for another few weeks and then I think I should be able to start reducing some we will see. I can tell a big difference everyday on how I feel and what things don't hurt anymore. I have to say my dr is getting pretty high up on my list of great people. He has bounced around quite a bit but for the last several days he has been climbing. So we will see what he has to say today and if he climbs more or falls back some.

I try to make the most out of everyday and do at least one thing for someone else everyday and that keeps me going strong.

• Just got home from drs boy it was nice getting out of the house for the afternoon. Dr said all is going well and to still take it easy and heal. He said I could drive but watch for med side affects at all times so all is going good so far. I am so thankful that this has been going as well as it has. How do ya keep things going well besides doing a few exercises and walking is there anything else. Please let me know and I wish an easy pain free time for everyone.

• Hi Mark,

Glad, your doing well. I am 3 weeks post -op. I had a 3 level PLIF and I'm doing pretty well. It's nice to be able to come onto SH and recover with people..

All the best,

• Yes you are right. This site has been a great place to be and thanks
  • I am glad to hear things are going well. I am just about 2 months post the same surgery. Still achy and get tired if I do too much. Be careful and don't rush.

• Sounds like you got a good report. Just make sure you do exactly what the Dr says. You are very early in your recovery, take it slow and get plenty of rest. We have went through Major surgery and your body needs time to heal.. Good Job so far. Just remember, rest, walk, rest, walk, rest, walk, ..Merry Christmas!
  • I'm glad to hear that you're feeling well. I hope you continue to get better, but don't be surprised if you have a day or two where you don't feel so hot. Recovering from lumbar spine surgery is a long road and it can sometimes take up to a year to feel normal.

With that said, I'm hoping that you don't go through any bad days and that you continue to improve daily. It's always nice to feel like your surgery is a success - a great gift, actually.

Take care and remember that you're still early out from surgery and still need to heal. It'll be interesting to hear how you're feeling when you reduce your meds - wouldn't that be wonderful if you still felt great without them?

I'm rooting for ya and hope your recovery continues on a good pace.
  • Thanks for the replies. I know what ya mean about not overdoing it cause I did that yesterday and I am paying for it today. I was out and about just about all day and that was a mistake. Like you all said rest and I didn't do much of that yeasterday being christmas eve is when my family gets together. O well I at least got to visit with the family for a while and my kids had fun so it was worth it. I hope thing will settle back down today cause we have another round Sunday with the wifes family. Merry Christmas all.
  • Glad to see that you are doing so well so early out from surgery. It is great...myself waiting for surgery...to hear successful stories. I hear you on the overdoing it for Christmas...know that I will now be paying for it for a few days. It is so worth it though to enjoy a great day with family.
    Keep up the great healing, and the updates. All the best to you!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Good that you're feeling much better. Initially it's so good to get out of the house and easy to do that little bit too much and then pay for it. I know you'll follow your doctor's advice.

Resting, walking and flexibility exercises are all you can do in the early stages of recovery. I made sure that I observed all the restrictions, even though it was a very boring time, but I got a good result and at 14 months out, am very happy with my fusion.

Take care and keep letting us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008