Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally - something to be excited about

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Good News
After such an awful year, I finally have something to be excited about and I'm about to burst, so I wanted to tell my spiney friends about it.

My niece is coming to visit me on January 5 and she'll be here for a week. She's 41 years old and coming to visit from Ireland.

When she was young, we were more like sisters than niece and aunt and I love her dearly. (My sister, her mom who I was always close to, was 10 years older than me and had her at an early age, thus I'm just 8 years older than her.)

At 18, she had been reading books and researching about Ireland and decided that she should have been born there. So she moved there, all alone, knowing not a soul, and has been there ever since - what a strong young lady she was. Oddly, we didn't keep in touch like I thought we would, but we'd write letters once in a while at first. Sadly, inevitably we lost touch especially since there was no such thing as email and texting back then, but we never lost the feelings we have for each other.

Her mom committed suicide on Jan. 9 2004 and she came to visit about a year afterwards, but it was a bittersweet visit, as neither of us had worked out our issues with such a tragedy. We spent our time together talking about my sister, visiting places where they had lived, crying, and wondering and speculating why it had happened. Although it was wonderful to be with her and we did have some fun, she and I had many issues to work through and it wasn't as peaceful and fun of a visit as we would've liked to have.

So now, it's been 7 years, we've both come to terms with what happened and she's bringing her Irish brogue and wonderful Diva self to me for a week. She's a singer, performer and actress in Ireland and a true Diva - and one of the most wonderful members of my family. Of course, I only have two left, but she's still my favorite. She's also been in a movie since I last saw her, so I can't wait to hear about everything.

I've told her that I'm not physically the same person that I was when she last saw me because I've had two spine surgeries since then, but I know it won't be an issue. I imagine late night talks and laughs, visiting and introducing her to my friends, and basically acting like little girls who stay under the covers late at night with a flashlight giggling.

So I'm bursting with joy at my late Christmas present. Maybe I'll get a job soon after and 2011 will be a good year after all.

Thanks for letting me share my excitement with you. I can't really express just how wonderful and energizing this is.

Happy Holidays fellow spineys and I hope that the joy of family comes into your hearts like it's going to come into mine.

• I love to hear things like this. I am sure u will have a blast together again. Things like this sometimes take alot of the bad and hurt away and good for u. Thanks for sharing.
  • Such wonderful news for you. I can "hear" the excitement in your post. So happy for you; you are such a terrific lady and it makes me happy to see that you are too!

Have a wonderful visit,

• Now this story got me crying. Life is so full of wonderful surprises! You must be so excited to see her. I left Australia for NYC almost 20 years ago, and MY niece is here now, for a week - she was about 4 when I left home, and I've only been home twice since I came here. Have a great time when she's with you, and - I just wrote this in another post - don't worry a moment about "I'm not able to do this and that anymore". I was getting all worried about my niece being here - and now I can't do much with her (well she's here with friends anyway), or cook like I used to, and I certainly don't have the money I used to. But I'm just really trying to accept things as they are - to really just live in the moment and enjoy what IS.

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful story with us - sweet, painful, and full of love. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you too, Cath. I see you always answering people's posts, and trying to help when you can - your kindness always out there. All the best.
  • Such a happy post to start the day off with!! We are all so happy for you!
    I can just hear the giggling and laughing.
    What a great Christmas gift! Thank you for sharing your joy with us.
    You have put a happy smile on my face.
    Have a wonderful Christmas.

Patsy W

• Cathie, what wonderful news! I am sure that it has lifted your spirits and got you all excited.

What a great start to 2011 it will be and hopefully the year will continue to be full of fun times and comfortable days.

Wishing you a great Christmas and that your spine will continue to improve.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Have a wonderful time together Cathie, a lovely way to start the New Year.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Such wonderful news!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Like others have said, "can feel" the love and excitement in your post! I so hope this visit is an absolutely "out of the ballpark" hit when you two get together. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.