Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

starting to freak out...

rnicn2001rrnicn2001 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone... I'm starting to freak out that something is wrong.

I had a PLIF at L5/S1 on oct 19th and have been doing ok so far. Walking as tolerated, driving short distances, being REALLY careful to move correctly. I have gradually stepped down my pain meds so that I take norco 10/325 every 4-6 hours and have been mostly comfortable on that.

On monday I noticed some sciatic pain in my left butt cheek (the left is my problem side), but it didn't radiate any farther down my leg. So I've been taking it really really easy. Icing and resting and paying attention to what I'm feeling. I used my tens unit to see if that helped, but it didn't feel good to me like it used to before the surgery. The sciatic pain has steadily worsened to be a constant pain. Laying down it's limited to the left butt cheek with some pins/needles in my foot. Sitting and standing it's that deep gnawing pain that goes down my leg and wraps around my foot along with more pins/needles. This morning I also had some sharp pains in my lower back when walking. I'm usually stiff in the morning, but this took my breath away.

I had some of this pain before sugery, but it was mild compared to what I'm experiencing now. I've got a call in to my doc and I'm just waiting for them to call back.

Anyone have a similar experience? Should I be freaking out a lot or little? Could the tens have irritated the nerves and made things feel worse?