Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgical visit no DX no options

sinatrafan44ssinatrafan44 Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been in constant pain since 2008..Have had ACDF surgery c5-7 in 2009..very little relief from surgery. Last 8 months have had arm pain, mostly in the left arm from my shoulder down to my hand..most recently my right arm has been in pain and numbness in some of my fingers..The only thing that showed up on my mri was a slight bulging above where i had my surgery..the surgeon today said that could not be causing my symptoms and based on the mri he does not know why I am in so much pain, I think he believed my pain and all he could say was that it could be from the minor spinal cord injury I had at the time of the accident.. So where do I go from here?? I feel like I have no option and am stuck with a life of pain...I am afraid and the pain has taken over me..i no longer can enjoy life like I used to and I am tired..To hear today that nothing can help that I have to live with it,,well it just was like the knife was stuck in the back..I am taking narcotics, but they only take the edge off..I can't be on narcotics for the rest of my life..i am only 46..Can anyone offer me any hope..I guess I should see another doctor but who..if there is nothing "showing" how do they treat you...the pain is real..What do I do about work? there is nothing to show the pain...I feel so sick..Any suggestions..thanks for listening..Amy

• Amy I am soo sorry!! I will pray that they can do something for you!!!! You will be in my thoughts!!! I hope you get some relief for the holidays!!!
  • First off, I *do* feel your angst and pain. May I ask you this? Have you had an MRI in what's called a "Positional" MRI? What this does is instead of "laying" down recumbent, you are sitting, and as such have your spine under load. By example, when I first blew C6/7, the recumbent MRI didn't show but a tiny little protrusion...protruding on nothing! I whined and my doctor (NS) agreed, and I underwent a positional MRI - there was the hernia - on the cord, bigger than stink!

Of course, no guarantees here, but just another option maybe to look at? Have you had any nerve conduction studies done yet? If done correctly, can give a LOT of information to your doctor or surgeon as to what might be going on. We're here for you. Gentle *HUGZ* of support!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi brenda..thanks so much for all your support..I am having a nerve conduction study done next week..I had one done before my surgery so maybe this can give some other option possibly..No i have never had a positional MRI..the ortho said that the mri only showed a possible bruise of the cord..Bu ever since my accident I have be hyperreflexive in my arm hand and leg refexes..to me that indicates something nerve related...thanks again..hope you are doing as good as you can..Amy
  • You're Welcome Amy,

Hopefully some answers will come from the study. Hopefully the new year will yield new answers! Happy Holidays!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda and Polly..This site is a God send ..I feel so validated here..Happy holidays to you both and I sure hope everyone can find relief to their pain issues..Amy
This discussion has been closed.