Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my Functional Capacity Test - Now What?

TWHladyinLVTTWHladyinLV Posts: 47
I had my FCE test done Dec 2nd, Dec 3rd my mom passes away unexpectedly, nine days helping my brothers and sister with funeral aarrangements.
Met with my MD to go over the results of the FCE, and basically, I can't go back to my past job.
I haven't actually been fired yet, I thought I was waiting for a Medical Separation, from what I was told. I don't know if my employer (a large hospital) will try to find me another position that fits the FCE, or re-train me to do something else, or what?? No one has contacted me and I am getting tired with the months dragging on with no resolution. My restrictions are pretty hefty: occaisional sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling. I can lift, (occaisionally) up to 38 pounds.
My previous job requires me to lift up to 50 lbs, constant standing, or sitting, walking, bending, reaching, squatting, etc., you get the point. Also I am at the top of my pay scale, and I have been doing the same work for over 30 years. Eight years at this facility, this was my first WC incident, and it was someone else who injured me.
I have looked at the other positions in the hospital and the ones that are in my pay scale, I am not qualified for education wise. I have heard they will only re-train you for a lower wage job and it has to be at a community college. I didn't have many years left in my career, maybe 12-15, so re-training me sounds futile, and I think they have to re-train you for something that is the same pay scale. Now I have a niece and my father-in-law at death's door and my poor sister is beside herself with grief. I want to go to her, but am broke over the cost of my mom's funeral. The CC debt is going steadily up.
Sorry, I just had to let off some steam............thanks

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am really sorry that you are going through all this. The sudden loss of a parent has to be horrible and hard thing to deal with. The last thing you should be worrying about is work at this time. Big hug for you and Im truly sorry for the loss of your mother.
  • I'll say a prayer for you. I'm so sorry about your mom. Losing a parent is difficult and unexpectedly even more tough.

As for your health and job, let them know you are open to being retrained (if they let you go from your current role). As for the education, I wouldn't rule out those roles if they are more basic education (like college degree) because many jobs will allow the education or comparable experience. Of course if it's medical training, I realize that's different.

Again, sorry for your loss.