Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Steroids Anyone?

sassy411ssassy411 Posts: 199
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
So I woke up Christmas morning with my back & hip so bad I wasn't entirely convinced I'd be able to get out of bed. DH gave me a nice massage, which didn't really help but was nice anyway.

Vicodin didn't do anything. So I took a half prednisone I have from last doctor's visit, & as always, it did the trick. I hate the side effects, but it always worked. I once had a large dog with a disc injury, he would get paralysis in his hind legs, but pred always got him on his feet.

I HATE taking this stuff! It makes me crazy. So does dex, which is why I'm on the pred instead.

Is anyone taking steroids long term? How do you cope with the side effects? Is there any alternative?

• of Pred. Yes, I hate the side effects too, but at least I had a near painless Christmas which was nice. Personally, even though I feel like I can do cartwheels when I'm on it, I wouldn't want to take it long term. I also don't like the side effects and people that need to take it long term have reported some things that scare the living **** out of me. I wish the drug companies would make a "safe" type of steroid that could be taken long term.
  • hiya sassy
    i really cant take them long term...but sometimes i have to for my lungs...i get easy infections but i can't do them for my spine and fibro and neurapathy issues....I just cant stand to be that person i become
    really i fall apart mentally...
    i wish you the best and hope docs can find something to help you
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Last year after my laminectomy of C3-C6 to remove a golf ball size tumor from within my spinal cord, I was put on steroids to help with the inflammation. I lost all feeling on my right side so couldn't tell if they were working or not. I hated the side effects though. I gained over 30 pounds because I could not tell when I was full and i had a ravenous appetite.

i feel for anyone who has to take these long term. i wish you the best :)