Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Michigan member here - Hello to everyone

pmf75ppmf75 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
I just found this great website last night, Christmas Eve! I hope all have had a Merry Christmas! Mine was very quiet, as I am spending it at my mom's in east TN, where she lives in a resort area. I live in upper Detroit Metro, and I WAS an MRI Tech! I had my L5-S1 minimally invasive surgery, with 4 pedicle screws, 2 rods, and a 'basket' they put in to adhere the bone grafts to in order to start the fusion, and they removed my torn and diseased L5 disc, on Sept 20, at my work place. I had the top neurosurgeon doing my surgery. He is the head of the spinal sciences academic institution, and the head of the spinal neurosurgery dept. Anyway, I have found out that the recovery is going to be lengthy, with many up and down days.

I feel like I am in such a state of limbo. I live alone now, as my 2nd wife left me in Sept of 2009, and we were divorced late in Mar. '10. I still really haven't recovered from being abandoned..and over an a disagreement about finances...of all things! Anyway, long story there, but 2 months after my divorce, my back problem began. I have had a problem with this since about the 2nd year into my career as an xray tech. All in all, I had 4 episodes, where my lumbar spine was injured, first 2 on the job, and the last 2(including this final insult that led to my surgery)were not on the job.

I hope to be on here and have the chance to meet you all. I have been sitting for too long now, and I just got a spasm in my back...been back in my brace for a day or two, and the physical therapy has been brutal! I will continue my therapy when I return back to MI on Jan 17, after I have my visit to my reg internist, so she can rewrite another physical therapy script, which I hope will include some water therapy. Until next time, everyone keep positive, and I know that's tough, as I have had many days of tears and frustration where I just think I can't go on another day! It's a very long and difficult process! I turned this all over to God when I was on the stretcher in the surgical pre-op,and faith is my stronghold now! Until next post...

Michael Flinn

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Welcome to s.h. forums. I hope your recovery is a fast one and that there aren't too many bumps in the road for you. But you're right it's a long difficult process.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great articles and videos throughout this site and the members of the forum are very helpful, knowledgeable and supportive.

I'm almost a year out from a 1-lvl TLIF at L4/5 and yes, it's a loooooong recovery. I'm still not back to 100%, but I'm so much better than I was before surgery. I think you know when it's time and for me it was when I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes.

I hope your recovery continues to get better, and it should with time. It's good to have you here and I know you'll find this site very comforting, with support and other's shared experiences.

Oh, and to put something in your signature, go to the top of the page to "My account", click on it then click the edit button at the top right in orange. From there you can add your medical history, where you live, etc. But be sure that you fill in your signature area last, as it's wiped out if you change anything in the other areas.

If I change my medical history to update it, I copy and past my signature stuff into a wordpad document, change the other info that I want to, then get back to the signature page and paste my signature back in as the last thing before pressing ok.

I'll see you around the boards.
  • Hope you are feeling better. Welcome to the site.
    Where are you visiting in TN? I love TN-I have lived here 11 years now.
    I am originally from Ohio-Toledo. We have lumbar issues and location and health professional in common!!
    Looking forward to talking more with you!!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on a successful recovery.. SH is a great place to spend some time while you are recovering.. good luck to you! stop by anytime! Jenny :)