Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'll bet I'm not the only one

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
I'll bet that I'm not the only one that totally overdid things the last few days and am in more pain today than usual.

I'm so, so happy that we have nothing going on today, hubby's going golfing (sorry to those in the eastern US battling snow storms), and I have the day to myself so I can spend most of my day in my recliner and just relaxing.

It's truly amazing how much we do during the holidays, pain or no pain, even for those like hubby and myself that have no family. We have had major practicing for a huge church service on Saturday, had friends over last night so lots of food and some cocktails, playing games, standing a lot and talking, and of course, cleaning before everybody came over.

So, for those of you like me that have done too much over the past few days, I'm hoping you get a nice day to just relax and get your pain down to a manageable level. I think we all knew this day would come and I suspect those that are hurting more than usual today aren't even surprised. But we got through it - whew!

• My horoscope ( that I read for fun sometimes ) said "today is not a day for work - chill!" lol ;)

I think the thing that shocked & frustrated me the most this holiday season was how much longer it took me to get the "simple" chores done and how very tired doing them made me.

BUT time to move forward - so to speak lol
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • hey cathy
    Happy Holidays,,boy o boy did i ever....well had so much help but i missed last yrs family get together..
    We hosted at our home this yr...just close family about 45 adults and lots diff ages of kids...
    And yesterday had to have my brother's kids 2 live in florida..and my brother passed few yrs back...
    there moms side is here in chgo but never have them over...and they usually go to my moms but since she's living with us now i felt i had to have them..
    but they adults and they cleaned up and i had my daughter to put all dinner in oven..
    now i'm awaiting my grandaughter to come over for our christmas with her...but my son said he has few stops to do so only can stay few hrs maybe..
    i'm soooo not cooking and doing anything today..
    so yes long reply but yes i did too much standing and well i dont sit in normal chairs anyway..and my oldest brother spilled a beer on my recliner...so couldnt sit ther...
    good post ty cathy
    and i hope painfree days for this new year
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • was just not being able to lay down, as the day progressed, my lumbar was screaming at me in pain.

and to really cap things off , my very large hiatias hernia decided to have a really bad attack , which ment i was having pain , upper abdo through to back and abdo became hard, and felt like it was going to explode and i completly lost my appetite , so couldnt eat all the yummy christmas food!

of all days for this to happen :(
    was getting close to ringing ambulance if it got just a little worse

so my boxing day, was spent hoping things would settle down and of course in bed, feeling ill

well i hope you all managed to get your overdid pain levels down fairly soon, we expect it to happen , so no real surpises, gotta live and do stuff sometimes, even knowing we will pay later

rest up well today cathie and everyone
  • For over doing things the last few days I thought they would never be done. I had a good holiday but it stretched over three days now I knee a few days to get my back under control. Well I wish everyone a speedy recovery from their back aches and hey just a few more days till next year and it will be better.

• I didn't technically overdo it--all we did was get dressed up & go out to dinner but I was having a bad back pain day & it sucked the juice right out of me.

Because it was Christmas, I gave myself permission to hang out on my bed early in the evening & watch TV. I got a thingy--don't know the technical name, it's a back rest you can set up on your bed, came from Bed, Bath & has a little massage feature. Not very powerful, but on those kinds of days, I'll take whatever comfort I can get.

My overdo tends to be in the area of exercise. I go stark raving mad if I don't get cardio & even swimming & water jogging/walking is tearing me up these days.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi Cathie. I'm glad you're resting today.

We had a wonderful holiday but I'm with you...WHEW! I'm just thankful I've lived through it. Thank God for my puny little 5mg Lortabs that I've been saving for a rough day or I don't think I would have made it yesterday. It's done, everyone is happy, healthy, and well fed so it's all good right?

I hope everyone had a great holiday and that you can rest and recuperate!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Lifting things that I know I shouldn't and too much standing. We had a large family gathering at a rented lodge. So there was a lot of cleanup. I'd feel bad if I didn't do the work till it was done. It seems like the same people do all of the work and the rest (especially the younger ones) don't lift a finger....Some things never change!
    But I try to overlook things like that. And enjoy the Christmas get together. And hurt a little later.
    Jim.........who said ouchy? I second the motion!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I over did it and then some. Having two little kids at Christmas sure does make the experience that much more joyful, and that much harder to rest! It was such a wonderful holiday with my family. Every stabbing pain and tear is worth it today. I've already called my mother in law and asked if we could come over and the morning so she can play with the kids. I know I'm still going to need some more rest!

I hope everyone recovers as much as possible. :) Here's to the New Year!
  • I think for me the "overdoing" is the activities increase! Getting up, getting down, standing, getting in an out of the SUV, twisting, lots of walking. I stayed in bed all day today just to get "enough spoons" back on my plate to go out to dinner with my niece, nephew and grand nephew!

Ouchie that it was, but it was worth it! My hubby had me pegged in that I would need most of Sunday as the "recovery day." :)

Like was already said, I am glad it is now behind me. Would I do it all over again, sure, you betcha!!! I hope all return to their "normal" soon. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I overdid it too and I'm really paying for it. On top of that, I have some kind of a bug. I hope that everyone who overdid it gets through their flare up quickly!

• I get SO frustrated when you just want to have fun, make everything nice and perfect and then pay the price later on. Oh, it makes me mad… Tell ya what, I was driving into work today and thinking – it just don’t get much better than this… I was out of pain meds, had none for this morning but she gave me a refill for today (a month’s worth) and I was happy as a clam going in late, driving to the pharmacy before work knowing in an hour I would feel SO much better. It is a sick, sick, world we live in isn’t it… LOL!
    We had a lot of fun with our kids and grandson – kids definitely make the holidays a riot! They are so excited and so cute! I also agree with Jim on the “younger kids not lifting a finger to help”. I have experienced that too and I cannot believe how some people raise their kids! When our daughter got married, we had to move all the chairs from outside to the inside before the reception. My girlfriend, husband and son did it all while my son-in-laws brothers stood around doing nothing!
    My husband did a deep fried ham this year and it was BLACK when he brought it in, but once we peeled the black off – it was the best ham I’ve ever had. Juicy and tender and delicious! You guys should try it sometime. I had never heard of such a thing, then my “son that lives across the street” actually he’s my neighbor, made one last week and it was incredible. I made potato and crab salad, seven layer Mexican dip, veg and dill dip and some other yummy treats and munchies. We had a fabulous time but by yesterday I like the rest of you ended up missing out on a small family get together and laid in the recliner pretty much all day long! I was just trashed and hurt and needed a long rest. Hopefully we will all have ourselves back together to enjoy the New Year rolling in right!!
  • Oh yeah, I have done it now! We got 20" of new snow and more in drifts. Had to clear some paths so we had 2 exits from the house. Plus it's only about 12 degrees out. Had to really push the door to squeeze out this morning.

My back will be all amped up soon.
  • OMG, all that I heard was potato and crab salad.. 8>

I love the Holidays, but I'm so glad that Christmas is over, though I still have a turkey to cook because we go to a family dinner and *he* wants his turkey with leftovers. I'll keep it simple though. Now to get through New Years Day.
This discussion has been closed.