Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

any other 3 level fusions out there?

fused78ffused78 Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, i kinda new to the board but Ive been lurking around for a while though. I was curious if there are any other people floating around in here that have had a 3 level lumbar PLIF? I had mine done Dec 7 2010, So as of right now im abou3 3 weeks post op. Im looking to find someone else to talk to as I have questions,I'm hoping for a good outcome, I want my life back. let me know!

Fused78

advertisement

Comments

• Sorry, I only had 2 levels fused, but since they took the middle vertebrae out and replaced it with a titanium cage it was a bit more complicated (and since it was L1-L3 I had to have a thoracotomy, a major thoracic surgery, to give my surgeon anterior access).

What levels did you have fused?
  • l3/4, 4/5, 5/s1. I also had a pars Defect they took care of while they were in there. overall it was 8 screws 2 rods.
  • advertisement
  • So how are you feeling? I had one rod and 2 plates (on top of the titanium cage). My rod is anterior, though.

Even though I just have the plates in the back, it's still pretty swollen. I am guessing yours are still fairly painful? And of course our bodies are still learning to accomodate our new spines!

• have not had mine yet jan 4 but haveing the same done that u did op
  • so far so good. Im 3 weeks post op, and Im having daily discomfort but overall the pain is better than pre-op. Im not laying in bed everyday, Im up walking or in a recliner, Im getting antsy, hard to sit still. 1-10 scale onthe pain its about a 7 average daily. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Gotta stay straight and still, waiting for those donor bone plugs to grow

Fused78
  • advertisement
  • I'm not even 2 weeks post op yet, but I hear ya. Right now my main pain generator is the incision for my thoracotomy. The fusion generally just generates an overall achy feeling in my spine, hips and SI joint, totally expected since I had to have pretty significant correction of deformity and my spine is all a different shape now!

I am also up and about quite a bit. In fact, in bed is not my most comfortable spot right now, and I'm not sleeping well at all.

I'm still not allowed to do any bending, lifting, or twisting so I can't say whether things are better than before, as those are exactly the things I couldn't do! I would say sitting feels improved- I can sit 30 minutes now (my max allowed) and feel fatigue, but have not had any nerve pain in my back yet. But I'm hesitant to believe it's just gone, that would just be too miraculous!

Good for you keeping up and around. I heard the same thing from *everyone* in the hospital! Get up, walk, get the blood flowing and your lungs working!
  • Hi Fused 78,

I had a 3 level fusion on Dec 3rd 2010 Mine was L1-L4. What can I help with you with? My mobilty is very different now and I'm still pretty sore from the hip where they took the bone but overall I'm doing great!

Lisa
  • Three level lumbar fusion, L3-S1, November 2008. Life won't be the same as it was before you were injured, but you will get used to the stiffness. I rarely have pain any more, although it did take me about 18 months to recover. I had a few set backs along the way, requiring some steroids and extra pain killers, but I'm doing great now. I walk alot and do Pilates and would never like to go back to the pain I had pre-surgery.

I had my surgery in two stages - the rods and screws were placed from the back in the first surgery (two rods, seven screws), but they couldn't get my damaged discs out because I had too much scar tissue. Four days (and several units of blood) later, they went in from the front, took out the damage discs, put in the cages, allograph, and BMP mixed with my own bone marrow. I was totally fused by one year out.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • at what point Can I go swimming, ride a motorcycle, go to the gym ,play baseball, basketball, run a half mile, and re-live all the missed years of my sons childhood because of this crappy back? LOL c-mon Times a wastin!

Seriously though, Im having post up numbness/sensation issues with my left foot. I had these intermittently to a serious degree before the surgery and Im surprised to be still having them. Its like an itch you cant scratch. Dull sensation of touch, burning, and itchy some more. and its hard to move my toes, If I didn't look at them while i'm in the recliner I wouldn't know they were there sometimes. did any of you have any issues like this post op?

I know its going to take time, I just feel bad at the moment because my fiance is off work to take care of me, she is trying to help but I guess im making it difficult for her by trying to do things around the house I shouldn't. Ive got cabin fever. Stir-crazy. Ive been out of the house a couple times post-op once to a furniture store and another to watch christmas lights in a neighborhood close to home. Both were pretty rough but I survived.

Today I get to leave the house again, to the Dr office to pick up some scripts for my meds. Im on breakthru meds for my pain aside from a daily regimin morphine, they only give 40 at a time and I ran out over the holidays. Christmas eve was fine but christmas day and yesterday I pretty much played hermit, laying in bed because of the pain
    being CRANKY! did I say CRANKY!? Its so hard to not be in this situation,

ok Im done whining . I hope you all enjoyed a piece of cheeze with my whine I'm so happy to share :)

Fused 78

• Well, those are good questions to ask your doctor :) Remember that the goal is for the bone grafts to grow in and make good strong bone fusions, and if you do too much too early you will interrupt that process. So focus on the long haul! (that's the lecture I got from the PTs anyway!)

advertisement