Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Weeks Today

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Since my ALIF went bad and became a PLIF - first post op appointment is this afternoon and I cannot wait to get these 23 staples out of my back! They have me set up to see the Physical Therapist right after the Doctor. We have a short list of questions to ask mostly because we aren't sure exactly what he had to do in there since I have so many incisions in my back - but thanks to this board we don't have too many!

• at your appointment today Preese. Hope that you get all of your questions answered and find out exactly what went on with your surgery.Wow, PT already? I didn't realize it started that early post op...or maybe it's just to consult and start in a few weeks?
    Keep us posted. Bet it will be great to have all the staples out.Sending healing vibes.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Good luck on your appointment today. If you'd like to know exactly what happened during surgery, I'd suggest calling the hospital where you had it done and ordering the Operations Report. I got both of mine and neither of them cost anything.

The report tells you everything, from when they began to when you are wheeled out to recovery. It can be interesting reading, but in any case it's always good to have all your medical records and this is good to put with all your imaging and other spine paperwork.

Please keep us posted as to what the surgeon says. (23 staples gave me the shivers...ack.)

Take care,
  • It looks like I am doing alright for two weeks out - they did an xray to check the Hardware placement again and it looks fine even though it wasn't the way he really wanted to do it due to the defects at L5 after he had to abort the ALIF and do the PLIF. Saw the physical therapist who was so impressive that I am going to drive the hour to the spine center to do my therapy there each week. She immediately started working on the muscle spasms that are my biggest problem as to pain right now. The ultrasound with cortisone treatment felt fantastic and the doctor doubled the muscle relaxants for nighttime so I can hopefully get some sleep. My only therapy exercises are to stretch the back muscles after using moist heat on them and to keep walking using pain as my guide.