Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Weeks Post-Op Three Level ACDF

rams83cjrrams83cj Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone.

I am 6 weeks post-op from 3 level ACDF on C5/6, C6/7, C7/T1 on November 15th.

The pain in the neck and numbness and tingling in the left arm was gone immediately following surgery. Pain at the incision site was awful. But that was to be expected. I also had right handed weakness. Which scared the heck out of me. I couldn't get my hand to work. I thought I had a dang stroke!!!

Hospital Therapy people gave me a foam square thingie to squeeze to get strength back. I would say that is back to about 80-85%. Not back 100%. I also experience numbness in the right hand. Which comes and goes.

I had compression boots on both legs while in the hospital for two days. I felt numbness in my toes on my left foot. Also, my body on the left side felt like it was bruised. But once the compression boots were off I noticed that my body was numb from right under my left breast, all the way down to my toes on my left foot. If I touch my bare skin below the breast with my fingers it is painful. I must sleep with PJ Pants on because when my leg rubs against the sheet it is painful. I get in bed. Get positioned and then try not to move.

My left side and my left foot feel COLD all the time. I get shooting pains in the left side. Sometimes burning sensations, too.

During the day it is painful to walk at times. And I know walking is the best thing for the recovery process. So it ticks me off that it is painful.

The surgeon said that "alot of nerves were moved around. It is gonna take time to settle down." My point of view: Surgery was a success. I am going to have to stay on top of this and eventually get another EMG study done to determine what damage is in there.

How many others have experienced this?