Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone!

misterkatamarimmisterkatamari Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions

Hi there, I'm new to the forums. My name's Patrick and I'm a 22 year old guy living in Pennsylvania.

I experience back pain due to scoliosis, although I'm not sure why I experience as much pain as I do. I'm hoping to find out ways to learn more about my condition, ways of coping with pain, and ways to talk to my doctor(s).

I don't know much about my back problems, other than I have scoliosis. My current doctor said it was very 'slight' and that any pain was caused by over-worked muscles pulling on my spine.

I've tried physical therapy off and on since I was 12, and I've also exercised and improved my diet. I weigh less now than I did before and am in a healthy weight bracket. The pain, however, is actually much worse than it ever was in the past. So, I'm trying to figure out why I am experiencing so much pain...and how to perhaps help with it.

Anyhow, hello to everyone. I hope to be an active member of the community. Hope everyone is doing well. (Or at least as well as possible.)

• That's rough you're having pain with scoliosis I have mild scoliosis and think it didn't help my back issues. I know Massage Therapy helped with back muscle strain through the years for me. I hope your x-rays and MRI are okay if your back is really bad now hope you saw your Dr. Post when you need support. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the reply. I don't remember when I had an MRI or x-ray last, so maybe I should bring that up when I see him. Hope you're doing well.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have suffered with back pain since i was 16 years old so i know how it can wear on you.. i am sorry you are in so much pain.. i wish i had a magic answer for you but i don't.. i hope that being around other who feel as bad as you do might make you feel alittle better.. good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • Thanks all.

I saw my doctor today. For years I've been told (and treated) like my scoliosis was the only 'problem' with my spine--but when I saw the doctor today he went over an MRI from 2003 and one from 2005 that showed that I had disc desiccation and bulging in my lower back. (And I had no idea what that even meant until he told me.) So he wrote me out a pain medication for when it is really bad and set me up with a new MRI and an appointment with a surgeon for his opinion, I guess.

So if the MRI shows that the disc advanced, I guess, then that would explain why my level of pain has risen so much over the past couple of years since the last MRI I had.