Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw pain management doc today

sue in ohiossue in ohio Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
He was able to translate my MRI report and said I have something like lumbar facet disease and that the bottom 6 discs are full of arthritis and it is pressing on nerves. He is going to schedule me for lumbar facet injections and will knock me out for them. He said that is referring pain to the hips and that the injections should help with the hip pain as well. He said he did not know how much he could help the fibro pain since most all pain meds other than darvocet makes me sick, but he feels I can get a lot of relief from the facet injections. He also called in a script for celexa for depression/anxiety attakcs. He is starting me out at 10 mg at night for one week then going to 10 mg twice a day. I am very nervous about the shots but I need to do something and this may give me my life back.

sue in ohio

• Sue, I'm glad that the Dr. is helping you and that you are optimistic about the injections, and I really hope that they help you.
    I have the bad hip pain too (no fibro here though), but mine is caused from Bursae,DDD,and OA. I think whenever we have multiple things wrong with us that it becomes easy to think the pain is coming from one of those instead of even thinking it could be something else, if you know what I mean. But I hear that Fibromyalgia can cause pain in all of the joints.

You mentioned the other pain medications (besides darvocet), make you sick. All of the narcotic type medication made me sick too. You should have seen me after operations (lol),all that I did in trying to manage my very severe pain was vomit and moan in agony. I guess my surgeon just didn't understand and I was clueless at that time-now I probably know entirely too much about pain medication, but I was not going to let myself go through that ever again.
    I'm fine with my medication now, but it did take some getting used to. I'm not one of those people who can titrate easily because I have a high, or is it low..tolerance to all opiate medications and a little bit goes a long way between managing my pain and balancing the side effects.

I hope your lumbar facet injections are a success and that you get some relief from your pain.
  • Good luck on your facet injections. I also had severe hip pain due to my facet joints so I know how you feel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these work for you, and I hope they're scheduled soon.

Please keep us posted.

Take care,
  • Would like a update...

I too have had the injections... mine for Degenerative Disc and Arthritis all in lower back. Pain Clinic has really done nothing for me, sad to say. I am now taking 40mg of Opana 2X daily, 7.5mg or Norco 3X daily, 30mg Cymbalta 2X daily and have LowT as a result of these 3 meds. I laugh as I type this. At 20 I would have never dreamed that I would be like this at the tender age of 41. With that being said... Pain Clinic's DO however help thousands of people each and every year.
  • I am sorry the clinc was not able to help your pain. I got my third and final round of facet injections today and I feel great! Yes, I still have pain and always will what with the severity of my spinal fusion, fibro, and arthritis, but it is so very much more bearable right now and I am so happy I did this. I am sure part of it is also finally admitting I needed an antidepressant and started on celexa about a month ago plus see a psychologist twice a month for now. The physical pain is so much more easy to handle when the emotional and spiritual pain are addressed.

sue in ohio
  • Sue,

Thank you for coming back and giving an update on the shots! It always helps when I can see the progression of one person, especially when it helps that person!

I'm so very glad you are getting relief now and wish you continued success and pain relief in the future!
  • GREAT!!! Relief is ALWAYS a good thing! I look forward to the day that I can stop taking my med's and finally enjoy life. Unfortunately it might have to wait till the next one (life that is). FYI - I haven't given up yet... been dealing with this for a LONG time. For those reading this - that have not become member's... have peace knowing that you are all NOT alone. Pain effects each and every one of us in a different way. It can also lead to mild depression. Reading this site has put my mind at ease. It is SO nice to finally talk and read of other's having issues. Those that are NOT in pain... have no CLUE as to what we go through.
This discussion has been closed.