Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Arguing with hubby and need some backup

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I say that, even if he is fused in January and able to go on with normal activities, he will have to continue to do the exercises given by the therapist for the rest of his life just to maintain his condition and protect the fusion. He thinks, and of course you are going to tell me how wrong he is, that once fusion happens, then you can stop the exercises and just do ordinary movement. Who is right and I pray it is me as he has promised me a dinner out at my favourite restaurant if he is wrong.

• Even if he's pronounced fused in January, it can take up to two years before everything is completely solid. Not to offend your husband, but I think he would be a fool to take for granted the gift he has been given. I have been doing my PT religiously for the last 3 years. There are times when I can't but I have always done more than what I was originally told to do. Ask his doctor and therapist what they think.

• With a spinal fusion, there is always a slight risk of "adjacent disc disease," which just means that the adjoining disc one up or down from the fused segment is now required to take the brunt of any movement. Since the fused segment or segments cannot move and are not flexible, the adjacent levels have to do the work of both.

It is important to keep the muscles and soft tissue of the back and core strong and in balance. We all risk further problems if one side is preferred and becomes stronger than the other...or if we compensate for pain in one area, the opposite side can become overworked, overstretched, over-used, etc.

The majority of spineys who get into further trouble are the ones who go back to their "old ways" -- doing things that got them into trouble in the first place: using poor body mechanics, poor posture, slouching, lifting improperly or too much weight; twisting and lifting at the same time, etc. It is important to maintain a healthy weight, to drink lots of water, to exercise to keep the blood flowing to the discs and newly repaired surgical area.

You could just ask your husband if he is eager to go through this whole fusion experience again....in my opinion, he's really rolling the dice if he just goes back to his old, pre-surgery lifestyle.
  • Tell him to get out his wallet dinner is on him. My vote is after spinal surgery you will always have to do your home therapy program, don't want to go back to the old ways of doing things, that caused the issues. But, his physical therapist should back your way of thinking, but call ahead and tell her you want a good meal, hahaha.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey beaver,
    I have had a few spinal surgeries and fusions, but I have to honestly say I'm going to side with you. My multi level fusion is solid, quoted as being "textbook." Most people that have been fused are candidates for adjacent joint degeneration, it's happening to me now. Last summer both my neurosurgeon and rheumatologist recommended me to a PT program to develop more core strength to build muscle to support my vertabrae. Well to be honest it has changed my life both physically & emotionally. I have continued with this program on my own at a local gym with similar exercise I learned from the therapy program. For me it has become a new lifestyle that I plan to continue for as long as I possibly can.
    It's time for your husband to pay up beaver, eat well as diet is important also.
    take care,
  • my first back care program - exercises and all in the hospital setting, was 31 years ago. And I still do.

I would suggest to keep doing them regardless of how you feel. They dont take a lot of time, and moving gently - at least for myself, helps keep the attitude up as well.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    I am in total agreement with what others have posted here. Once you have spinal surgery you always
    have to take that into consideration.

Its a life long program you need to watch. For some it may mean daily sets of exercises, a list of restrictions, etc. For others it might be somewhat easier and for others it could be much more difficult.

I know without a doubt that some of my follow on spinal surgeries after my first lumbar one , I contributed to by not doing the things I should have done and gambling once I started to feel good. And I am not a good gambling.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I was told by my GP that to stand the best chance of not needing further surgeries on my spine, I would need to keep doing my excercises, walking and other healthy living for the rest of my life.

That is a small price to pay for being able to carry on with my life and not need another surgery. I want to know that if I do need surgery, it is not because I didn't do something that could have helped to avoid it!

Enjoy your meal!! ;)
  • He read and I am hoping he took in all your responses. Thanks all and I will think of you as I dine on seafood delights!