Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Months today post PLIF!!!!

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,

Today I hit my 2 month mark! I feel a bit stronger and cut back on my meds. I'm still using the bone stimulator hoping this time around I FUSE!!!!

I will say this surgery has been much HARDER than the last! PLIF is a tougher surgery I believe. I'm still in pain everyday especially if I over do it.

Anyone else having pain 2 months out PLIF???? Is it normal. I get this burning tight feeling in my legs every morning and sitting is still an issue. By the end of the day my legs feel like they want to fall off. I start therapy in a week hoping that helps!!

Maria :)

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

• Happy 2 month Birthday today! <:P

I am now 9 months out and feeling pretty good. :D
    It is the only surgery I have had, so I have nothing to compare it with. My original pain has all but gone, which means I am feeling much better than before surgery.

I do get occassional pain in my lumbar spine, but it is twinges rather than the constant pain that I did have. I also have quite a bit of neurological symptoms in my feet and legs and frequent twitches, spasms and cramping, especially at night/early hours of the morning.

I think that at 2 months out, sitting was still an issue for me too. Now, I have bought a Back Joy and that has helped a lot in allowing me to sit comfortably for much longer. Went to the theatre this week, to see a pantomime and was able to sit for about 2 1/2 hours without having to keep wriggling about. I also take it if we go out for a meal, which before often meant I had to get up and move about at some point during the meal. Now I can sit comfortably throughout the meal.

Everyone is different in their experience of healing after spinal surgery, but I think often we expect to be back to normal in a very unrealistic time frame. I suspect that our surgeons contribute to this in their prediction of how long recovery will be. I was told by a doctor to double how long the surgeon told me my recovery would take!! ;)

I hope that your recovery continues smoothly and that before long, you will be saying that you feel just about back to normal. The next thing after that will be an end to your posts as you get back to your life! :D

Happy, Healing and Healthy New Year!

• Well I was not doing that great at 2 months..I had my 2 lvl fusion PLIF on March 1st of this yr. I am now back to work, but it took me 7 months to get back to work FT. Also I still have back pain everyday at the surgical site. My toes go numb if I do too much, and I have swelling of my ankles everyday after work. BUT..lol..my pain is better than before the surgery when I couldn't do anything.
    I still had all the symptoms you are experiencing at 2 months out.

Hang in there.
  • Hang in there Maria. It gets better over time. After 8 years I still have pain if I either sit too long or stand too long or overdo it. I doubt that will ever change but you learn to adapt to your new back and how it behaves. 2 months is not very long. Give it much more time to heal.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • The orthopedic spine surgeon I saw before deciding against fusion told me the recovery period would end with - get this, and be prepared for a good laugh- removal of the staples at the second or third week postop. Really???
  • :))( :))( :))( :))( Are you serious recovery is 2-3 weeks!! Sometimes I think Dr's need to go through what we go through to understand !!

• Perhaps it should be part of their training!
    Actually, I wouldn't wish it on them.

Perhaps instead they should come and live with one of their spinal patients for at least 3 months.
    It would be great to have our surgeon on hand to ask all our questions. :-)

essmoe, he must have been joking with you. :))(

• Hi Jellyhall,

Oh I wish this on no one and sorry if I came across that way!! I like your idea!! When they are residents they should stay with there patients and monitor them on day to day basis and use this as part of their training....