Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4th back surgery not again

honeybarehhoneybare Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi im new to this site today. from bournemouth in the united kingdom. last year i had microdisetomy on L4 L5 and L5 S1. I prolased again 3 weeks post opp it was awfull. march 2010 had 2nd surgery microdisetomy again and because my spine was also unstable i had a wallis ligament fitted as i could not have a fusion because i have severe osteoporosis. never recovered from my 2nd opp so much pain had a urgent scan in july 2010 and was told i had a massive disc rupture behind my wallis. 26th july 2010 they took me into surgery and redid the opp all over again. was doing really well untill 8 weeks post opp and found i was in terrible pain. had to wait till begining dec for another mri scan. got told on christmas eve that i have a dural tear. that means i am leaking spinal fluid. guess what ...it has to be repaired and to do that they have to open me up again and take my implant out to be able to get to it. so frighten, every time they do something it causes another problem. said i did nt want more surgery but i have no choice as you cant have spinal fluid leaking. im going in in the next 2-4 weeks and thats quick for the nhs. in hind sight i wish i never let them do any surgery. i am so disabled now least before i had pain yes but i could still work. now i cant even walk round a shop. this is my 4th lot of surgery in a year i am so depressed i just dont know what to do. tina

• OMG, what an awful experience! You posted in the right place; every person on this Board has gone through back (or neck) pain and is caring, so you have our empathy. Best wishes with the dural tear op, and hang in there. Love, Essmoe
  • Thankyou for your message. Do you know of anyone else who has had a dural tear
  • Wow! You have certainly had a very rough time!

I would like to welcome you to Spine Health. :H You have found a great place for information and lots of friendly people who understand from personal experience, a lot of what you are dealing with.

I am also in the UK, in Sussex, so not far from you.

There are others here that have had a dural tear, and if you type it in the search box at the top of the general forum page, you will find links to lots of threads that discuss dural tear.

It is amazing that it took so long to diagnose your leak. Were you suffering headaches? You will need to have it repaired as it is obviously not going to heal itself. (Sometimes they do, but I don't think it will after so long.) Hopefully others will come and answer your post, who have experienced this. It was one of the things I really hoped that I didn't suffer with. I had a heamorrage from the epidural, so came pretty close, but got away with it! :S

I really hope that this surgery will fix things for you, and that the rest of 2011 will see a much better year as far as your back goes. You have had a rough ride, and I can understand your reluctance to have any more surgery. This is something that has got to be fixed.

Do let us know how you get on, and keep posting so we can get to know you better.

• What a nightmare time you are having. I don't know much about dural tears but you certainly have my sympathy for all the pain you are going through.

I too received my MRI results on Christmas Eve saying that I had re-herniated. I had a discectomy/laminectomy on L5/S1 in February of this year but not re-herniated at same level plus L4. Great news at Christmas, not. Not sure what is going to happen, but I do hope I hear from the hospital soon as the pain has intensified in my back and left leg over the passed week and the numbness in my right leg has now covered my foot. Tried to drive today but struggled with the pedals. Can't believe how quickly the numbness is spreading.

I'm glad that they are getting you in within the next few weeks or so. Please keep us updated with your progress and let us know when you are going in. Sorry I can't offer any advice regarding the tear, but I'm sure somebody here will have some experience of the issues you are having.

Take care.
  • smile, think positive, be happy and remeber life wont put anything in front of you you can't handle. Ive had a dural tear that happened during surgery. Ive been through a total of 5 spine surgeries now ( im 32) most recent was a 3 level fusion I had done the beginning of december. Ive been through the ringer myself, Experienced all sorts of pain, ental, physical and all in between. If you need some support Ill lend a listening ear to you and share my experiences if you like. You are in the right place. Be well and keep your chin up!

• I have had over 10 surgeries in a span of 45 years. Diagnosed with scoliosis, kyphosis, lordosis and spondiliolithesis. I am fused from T1-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1. 20 years since last surgery and had to retire in 1999 due to pain. Considering neuro stimulator, pain pump or radiofrequency ablation.
    Hang in there as it does a lot of times get worse before it gets better. I did quite well after each surgery only to begin getting worse, more surgery, feeling better and so on - a real roller coaster.
    But I think if I had never had any surgery I would be so much worse off. Sounds odd, doesn't it. I'm not saying go under the knife as all other options should be considered first.
    Hope you find some relief. Don't give up looking as they are always developing new treatments and techniques. I'm 58 y.o. now and haven't given up yet.
  • Thanks for all the comments. The reason its taken so long to find out that i had a dural tear is because i never suffered with headaches, and that is what you are supose to get. All i got was groin pain which got worse the longer i was upright or if i tried walking. I saw my surgeon when i was 12 weeks post opp and told him that i couldnt even walk to the end of my road. I really complained and he gave me a scan really to shut me up. He was more surprised than me. I knew something was very wrong because the pain was so intense. He said you must be having headaches but i havent at all. The first step they are going to drain it with a needle then they are going to make me walk around and if the pain comes back in my groin which he thinks will happen then have to have it repaired. Just want all this to stop. 2010 has been a horrible year for me. 3 lots of surgery and in june my younger sister died of a brain tumour. started in her breast, then went to her bones and then head. Well it new years eve and i would like to wish all the people on here a HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR. Tina x
  • One nice thing about having it drained, is the relief is almost immediate! I was able to stand up and walk out of the clinic feeling better than I had in weeks. My leak was slow and it took 10 days for the fluid to build back up enough to cause the intense pain and pressure. I kept a log of everything so we could basically chart out the timeline which was very helpful to the surgeon.

Each time I had it drained, the doc would take a syringe and go in through the muscle (so as to contain the leak within the body)and draw the fluid out very easily. Plus it allows the doc to send it off to the lab for analysis and my doc also showed my husband and I a quick and easy way to determine if it was CSF. He took and shot some from the syringe onto a paper-cloth and it started to create almost a bulls eye where the CSF and blood cells separated from each other. Was pretty cool to see.

Keep us posted on how things go.

• The ACDF Surgery on C4/5/6 with removal of 3 disks and replacement with cages/fusion went really well but it is only recently I have been able to swallow solid food. Have some shoulder pain but it soon disappears with massage with Arnica Balm. Trouble with PLIF is I have areas L3/4/5/ and S1 showing swelling so I have had to have series of injections on 10 December 2010 to alleviate this problem. If these don't reduce swelling I may have to be reopened and metalwork realigned or replaced. I am also now getting bad cramp in left leg. I am fortunately a super optimist and keep smiling! I live in Herts and my hospital for surgery is Royal National Orthopaedic at Stanmore, Middlesex, a wonderful place. Good luck and best wishes for 2011.