Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello I am new here

missybrownmmissybrown Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all am posting from London, UK.

After having a L4/5 discectomy laminectomy in 2008 things have been getting progressively worse and now my NS is talking about lumbar spinal fusion surgery. Does anyone have any personal experience of this operation ? Many thanks for sharing.

• He is sixty six and is doing really well. He had had no previous operations. Went into the operation in horrible pain, could hardly walk and was told he would be in a wheelchair within months. Operation is a little rough but he came home four days later off all pain pills and walking up and down stairs. He is really doing well six months later and we have our fingers crossed that he is fusing.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great information throughout this site in the form of articles and videos with regards to your surgery, and the members of the forum are very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

I've had a lumbar TLIF at L4/5 almost a year ago. I consider mine a success, but know that it's a life-changing operation. I still can't stand or walk for long periods of time and still do things that aggravate my back, i.e. create pain, by lifting too much or something too heavy.

My best advice is to have complete confidence in your surgeon and adhere to you restrictions post-op. It's been said that with lumbar surgery, you feel better at 6 months at back to normal at a year. Some people are on track with that and some aren't, but if you take good care of yourself during recovery and the first year afterwards, you have an excellent chance at getting back to normal activities.

I personally was able to golf six months out from surgery, but my surgeon told my PT to specifically teach me how to swing a club so that I don't damage my hardware or hurt my surgery.

Do you know what type of surgery is being suggested? What are your symptoms?

Please let us know a little more about yourself and we can help you even more.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have a friend in Northern Ireland who visits London quite a bit..it is really a small world! so glad you are with us! you will find loads of information and all kinds of answers to your questions here on the forum, from the many videos and doctor presentation boards.. good luck! if you do have do have another surgery, always get that second opinion.. the more conformation you have, the better for you!keep us informed! Jenny :)