Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasms

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
After my first post-op appointment, it looks like I am doing alright for two weeks out - they did an xray to check the Hardware placement again and it looks fine even though it wasn't the way he really wanted to do it due to the defects at L5 after he had to abort the ALIF and do the PLIF. We saw the physical therapist who was so impressive that we are going to drive the hour to the spine center to do my therapy there each week. She immediately started working on the muscle spasms that are my biggest problem as to pain right now. The ultrasound with cortisone treatment felt fantastic and the doctor doubled the muscle relaxants for nighttime so I can hopefully get some sleep. My only therapy exercises are to stretch the back muscles after using moist heat on them 5 times a day and to keep walking using pain as my guide.

So I have been doing this faithfully for 4 days now and the spasms are still horrendous - they happen only when I lay down and move. During the day when I am walking, sitting and standing I have very little pain beyond some aching. I would welcome any suggestions that anyone might have that would help me get some sleep without being awakened by spasms every hour or two.

L5-SI Fusion December 13, 2010 after two years of leg pain that couldn't be cured by conservative treatments.

• Hi Patti-I also have trouble laying down and trying to turn in bed or get out of it. I never attributed it to muscle spasms as it's consistent with any hip rotation or movement.

Did you have minimal invasive surgery? If so, and if no muscles were cut, moved, etc.-I wonder why you are still having spasms? I know the day after my surgery-which was MI-I had horrible spasms in the hospital. At the time I thought I was going to lose it as they went on for 2 hours straight. Now I realize it was the muscles and ligaments that were moved and pushed aside settling back in against the hardware.
    Perhaps something is aggravated by your hardware? You aren't long out of surgery and things will improve.
    I wish you luck!

• I had a similar experience after my second surgery in August - spent almost all of October in spasm complete with a trip to emerg over Thanksgiving weekend (Canadian, eh). Physio ultimately helped me - found a stretch that seemed to interrupt the spasm pattern and allowed me to rest. It's much less now - still the occasional back spasm when I've done too much for the day. If you've got muscle relaxants, now's the time for them!