Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any 3 Level ACDF out there

hinoblehhinoble Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey Everyone,

I am 4 weeks post op from a 3 level ACDF C5/6 C6-C7. I had a large herniated disc that was pressing on the spinal cord badly. Instead of normally affecting symptoms like pain in the neck, arms, shoulders, or chest, I had numbness and burning that affected the right side of my body starting from my foot all the way up past my hip. I also experienced somewhat stiffness in the left leg. The doc said that in some cases a large herniated disc that has ruptured in the neck can cause symptoms in other areas of the body to include the legs. I also did some research and found it to be true.

If anyone else had an issue such as this, I would love to hear about it. My symptoms are still there right now, but the doc said it's going to take some time for the inflammation to go away in the legs.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I too have had C5-C6-C7. That's C5 fused to C6 & C6 fused to C7, so a two level fusion.

Neck disc problems can result in symptoms lower in the body. Thus those who break their neck in an accident have pain and incapacity below the level of injury.

Did you have the symptoms for a long time before the ACDF? The longer you have the symptoms, in general, the longer it takes for the body to recover. I have some permanent slight numbness in two fingers on my left had side since I waited too long to get the ACDF.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for responding. I'm just 5 weeks post op. My symptoms are still the same right now, but I know it's going to take some time to reach the effected areas. I just have to be patient.