Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain

ltstamplltstamp Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I went for a discogram last July and I wanted to ask some questions. My doctor had originally scheduled me for surgery in December then changed his mind and did a nucleoplasty. I feel that nothing has changed. I have numbness in both face, arms and legs with shooting pain. I also have burning in my neck.
I was looking at my MRI and these were the results.

On the sagittal views, there is low signal intensity contrast within the disc spaces at C3/4, C4/5 and C5/6 There is motion degradation on all sequences. No acute fracture or marrow-infiltrating lesion is seen.

C3/4 Nuclear contrast extending to the left posterior annulus
C4/5 Nuclear contrast extending to the right posterior annulus.
C5/6 Nuclear contrast extending to the right posterior annulus

He originally was going to do an ACDF at C3/4 and TDR at C4/5.

I am a little frustrated. What questions should I be asking him? I am seeing him again next week for an update.

• Write down whatever is on your mind and compile a list from that. I generally ask questions like;

-What could be causing my problems to continue after the last procedure?

-What would be your recommended next step?

-What can I do in the interim to get comfortable or more functionality?

-What kind of permanent or non-permanent damage am I facing?

-Did the results (or lack thereof) of the last procedure give you any better idea of my overall problem?

-Did we make a mistake opting for the last procedure instead of pressing ahead with the original plan?

-What does my MRI show you or not show you based on the symptoms and issues I have?
  • Thanks for all the good ideas. I find that when I go in I just forget what I need to ask and tell them. The whole process is overwhelming and unfamiliar.
  • "C" had some great questions to ask. You can also find a couple of lists of questions to ask your surgeon/doctor in the FAQ section, found at the top of the page in blue.

Now, since I'm very familiar with my surgeon, treatments, etc., when I know I have an appointment, I keep a piece of paper with me all the time and write down questions as I think of them. I've even been known to put my questions on a napkin when I've been to lunch before my appointment and forgot to bring my list. Unfortunately, my surgeon is very good at reading upside down, apparently, because he looked at my napkin and answered a couple of my questions before I could ask him. :-)

So check out the FAQ section in addition to writing down what "C" is suggesting. That should give you a nice, long conversation with your surgeon.

Good luck and please keep us posted.