Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tight calfs

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
Hi, I am waiting to have lumbar fusion right now (l5/s1 maybe l4/5. I have low back buttocks thigh pain with numbness/tingling/cold wet feeling in left foot. The last few weeks I have very tight calf muscles in both legs. I try to stretch them out but they remain tight. Do you think this might just be the way I walk now (slow, cautious, stiff) or could this mean that my impingement is getting worse?Confussed as it is in both legs. Does anyone else experience this and was it a symptom as time progressed?
Thank you!
>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• I have Neuropathy in both my feet and legs. The pain is all the way up to my knees.

My calf muscles are extremely tight and I must stretch them at least twice a day. They tighten back up very quickly.

I do not know if this information helps you any because we are talking about two seperate conditions.
    But yes...I have the same problem with my calf muscles and yes, it became worse as my condition worsened.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • My right calf is tight a lot of the time, especially the more I use it. My butt, thigh, leg, ankle, and foot pain on my right side came after surgery. I did not have these issues before surgery. The doc said that during surgery the "nerves got irritated. I hope this is not permanent." Over one year later it is a bit better though the calf still gets tight and the ankle and foot are still stiff. I walk slowly and cautiously with a wobbly and stiff right foot. The question is always: is this permanent?
  • thanks for responding. Did you have surgery and then develop neuropathy? If so, did you have the tightness before surgery also? Wishing you all the best with your back.Saultup,I am sorry you are dealing with the pain in your right leg. Before surgery did you have issues with your left leg or was the pain all centered in your back? Does stretching help the tightness at all for you?
    Would this be a type of sciatica I am having with the tightness in calfs and numbness tingling off and on in foot? I always think that sciatica is more like lightning pain which I do not have.
    Thanks !
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I did have 2 surgeries. Surgery #1 was where the nerves were "irritated". Surgery #2 (by a different surgeon) was quite extensive and I'm making a great recovery from that but it is the radicular pain from the first surgery that is the bummer. I did not have pain in either leg before surgery #1. My pain was in the low back and left hip. I find it hard to pinpoint a pattern to the pain in the calf though exercise generally makes it worse and resting the leg usually brings relief. It defintely has gotten better over time, absolutely, but I want the tingling, wobbliness, and stiffness to leave so I can walk better. I really don't know much or understand a lot about nerve damage. It seems lots of people have it. It seems some people report it gets better and other report it doesn't. I don't know what makes the difference--don't we all want the answer to that! There is consensus, I feel, that recovery from nerve damage takes a long, long time. Do you have your surgery scheduled? What does your doctor say about recovering from nerve damage? I know the doctors won't say much, if anything, but does he/she understand your concerns?
  • I had a problem with my left leg only before my fusion. The pain ran down the outside of my leg into my foot. I could not put any weight on it and had to sit with my left hip off the chair. I had to sit down sideways.

That origional pain is gone now but not long after my fusion I began having problems with both my feet, then both my legs. The pain in both legs is the same. One leg is not worse than the other.

I am so happy I do not have anymore legs for this problem to develope in!!LOL This is ROUGH!

Good luck Karen.
    Patsy W