Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My son - I am so worried and scared!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Matters of the Heart
The other night my son (17 and the light of my life) tells me he has been having a lot of bright red blood when he goes to the bathroom. I said for how long? Oh a couple days he says. I said Kristian, why didn’t you tell me??? So I’m debating what to do, then he calls me into the bathroom and says, well I just sat down, didn’t even go to the bathroom and I could just feel it running out and the toilet it full of bright red blood. I ran him to the doctor that was open on new years eve at 8 p.m. and they did a check and some type of scope, but only some kind that went in a few inches. She said she’d hoped to find a hemorrhoid or fisher that was causing the bleeding but there was nothing like that but she could see a lot of bright red blood in there. I am freaking out! She suspects he may have crone’s disease (that is a symptom) because my husband has it and it apparently runs in families. He has an appt. with my husband’s and my gastrointologist partner tomorrow (because ours is booked till the end of January) but I have a call in to his nurse to see if they can squeeze him in today possibly, or tomorrow with OUR doctor. I asked if it could be from ulcers because I get them in my esophagus, but usually throw up blood, and have had to surgeries to fix them, but she said no, that would present as dark or black blood, not bright red. I am scared to death, and trying to keep it together in front of my son. Don’t want him knowing how worried I am. Of course all this BS makes my nerve pain seem like it is magnified by 100 decibels for some reason!

• I hope they get your son into the doc soon and find it is something easily treatable. You are doing everything you can from the sound of it. I know having patience is difficult enough when it is us, but when it is a child (even a 17 YO) we feel so helpless. You can only do so much and the rest is out of your hands. I hope they are able to get him in sooner so it can help take some stress off of you. Hang in there.

• Dear Marion,

I feel so bad for you and can imagine your worry and anxiety being sky-high right now. My son Zach will be 17 in April. Zach and my daughter Nikki (10 years old) are my everything. It's just awful when something like this happens with them.

I will be anxious to hear if he can be seen today and if not, how the appointment goes tomorrow.

Hang in there, my friend. My thoughts are with you and Kristian. I hope they find the cause of the bleeding real soon.

Love to you,

• They called and cannot see him until tomorrow as scheduled. She said they will probably do blood work and schedule a colonoscopy for the following day. Poor kid, the colonoscopy isn't bad, but the prep is the pits! Hate to see him have to do that, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. I know the doc the other night mentioned the crone's, diverticulitus, and cancer. None of which I wanted to hear. I am praying it is something simple. I have read that sometimes it can be caused from an infection or bacteria or even parasite so I am hoping for one of those options.
  • Prayers sent :hug: Please do keep us updated
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Its so hard for a parent to deal with any kind of sickness. As a parent its our job keep our kids safe and sound. Unfortunately alot of things are out of our hands and it is indeed scary.

My younger daughter, Phoebe, was born 10 weeks premature. I know that helpless, scared feeling very well. It can be so hard to stand back and watch while others try to help your child.

I hope things will go as best as they can and please try to take care of yourself too. This kind of stress is hard on the body.

Take care,

• Wow, Marion, I'm sorry Kristian has to go through all this, especially so young!! I can't imagine what you are going through too, I know it's so hard to watch your kids being sick. Hope they can find out what it is quickly, and that they can fix it just as quickly!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Marion,

Sending positive vibes and prayers your way, that everything works out okay. While it isn't easy you have done all you can do at this point and time. Hopefully tomorrow will come fast and you can get a good idea as to what is going on. Keep us posted will be waiting to hear. I feel for anyone having to prep for a colonoscopy, but you will be there for him.

• Marion, I am praying for you, your son and your family. >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I too am sorry to hear this, but the way I'm thinking is that thank God he has you to help him and support him. He may be 17, and a young man to the rest of society, but our children are always our children, no matter what their ages, and 17 is still young IMO. My boys are 24 and 27, but I still worry when anything is "up" with them. I pray that this is nothing serious, but I know that you will worry terribly until you are certain.. because that's what most moms do. Take good care.
  • Aw, I'm so sorry to have read about this. I don't have any children, but my doggies are my kids and I freak out because Wally has more ooz coming out of his eyes than he did yesterday. I can only imagine how scared and worried you are right now and my heart truly goes out to you and your family. I'm saying a prayer that Kristian has something that is easy to treat and curable, and nothing serious.

Hang in there, Marion, and don't forget to take care of you too, so you can be all there for him.

• Marion...we are praying things will be correctly diagnosed and treated..I put your son on our church prayer chain.

Take care...keep taking those slow deep breaths, and things will work out.

Be greatful your son felt safe enough that he could come to you, perhaps some kids wouldn't and things could be worse for it.
  • Prayers coming your way. Bright red blood usually is a sign of a tear or a hemmorhoid. But the good news is that it ISN'T dark red or brown which could indicate a GI bleed up higher. Trying to think positively!!!
  • You and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.My kids are around that age and I would be feeling the same way. Thankfully he told you about it as things like this can be difficult for a 17 year old boy to discus. Please update us when you are able.
    >:D< >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    when a family member has a medical problem. Especially your child. I hope the Gastro. Dr. finds something that is easily treatable. The colonoscopy will tell. I know what that kind of stress will do to a chronic pain sufferer. And it ain't good! So I hope and pray your son will have a minor problem that can be managed quickly.
    So sorry, Jim :S
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I am thinking of you and your son. I hope that things turn out ok. I am praying for you and will be anxious to see how things are.. Good Luck
  • So sorry to hear this is going on. Like the others, sending tons of prayers and positive energy that it turns out minor. *HUGZ* for you and Kristian.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Mouse,
    Waiting is never easy and my own son has had some serious events from meningitis to possible CJD recently and it is only natural to be concerned, our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time, they are strong at this age.

Take care.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    a couple of years ago ... the diagnosis was an AVM of the colon. Very benign, very treatable, My hopes are that he has the same.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I believe in the power of prayer and am so thankful to the Lord that this turned out well. Kris started bleeding pretty badly so we ran him up again, and after several tests they found he had a ruptured blood vessel. They were able to put him out and cauterize it and all is well. What a relief!!! I don't think I have been that worried and stressed out in years! I love that kid so much... Thank You all for your prayers, thoughts, and concerns! It means the world to me. The world is o.k. once again...
  • Marion,

That is just great to hear it was something easily fixed. Your family must be so relieved, yeah! I was thinking of you this morning, thanks for the update.

Take care,

• for your son and family that it is fixed and he is doing okay now. You both have been in my thoughts!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Relief doesn't even come close to this feeling. I am so thankful! At least Kris never saw my fear, I was pretty careful about that but I think his onset of bleeding yesterday got him a little worried... At least it was only a few hours until they figured out what was going on and took care of it so he didn't have to stress for too awfully long.
  • Yay Marion. Wonderful news - I'm so glad everything turned out so well. I'm very happy for you and your whole family.

APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• What a relief.
    God does answer prayer :0)
  • Whew wee... this is WONDERFUL news!!!

YAY, YAY, YAY!!!

Our prayers were answered really quick! O:)

So relieved and happy for you and Kristian, Marion.

• I do so appreciate your friendship, kindness and concern... You guys are the best support I have ever had in my life!
  • very good to hear the diagnosis...my Hubby was treated for AVM's which caused bleeding in him that was discovered when he went into heart failure.

you and the family take care..
  • Marion,

Oh, MOST Excellent for your son!!! Did they have any clue as to what caused it? So glad to hear that they could figure it out, and it was a quick fix. *HUGZ* to you and your son!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My father has that same condition, but my mother being an all knowing doctor and all - see's no reason he needs it treated because it will just heal on its own. I tried to tell her they need to cauterize it, but she won't have it. He was rushed to the hospital last summer with heart problems, and they found he was 4 pints low on blood which caused his heart to beat irregularly. They filled him up and he was fine, looked good again. Now he is white as a ghost again and feels like shit and I keep telling her she needs to get his blood checked again or let me take him but that ain't happening. I have talked to him about it but she has him convinced so what are ya gonna do. I don't like either of them much but I know I need to do the right thing for them. Can't do it if they won't let me tho. The hospital they went to didn't have the correct techonolgy to go into his small colon to do the procedure so he needs to go to one in SLC which is about 120 miles away. Me and my brother offered to take him but no way jose' I guess he'll die eventually.