Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lidoderm patches and Mobic (meloxicam, generic)

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
Hi there.

I just saw my surgeon for my increasing cervical pain - it's due to bad arthritic facet joints, left side worst at C2/3 and right side worst at C3/4. He wants to do injections (they never helped my lumbar facets, fyi) but since my insurance makes getting them very expensive, he's agreed to try conservative measures such as some PT and meds until I either simply can't take it another minute or I get a job with good insurance.

So, on top of my pain and muscle relaxant meds, he's added Mobic 15mg (generic, meloxicam) 1 daily for inflamation and Lidoderm patches 5% 30s.

Can some of you please tell me about these new medications, problems you may have had, side effects, useful tips, etc? I've been on anti-inflams before, but not this particular one and I know absolutely nothing about the patches.

Thanks for any help you guys can share with me.

PS I thought there was a thread on here about the lidoderm patches, but I can't find it and I might have been thinking of Mary's thread about duragesic patches which are different.

• Cath I've been using the Lidoderm for a few months now. No side effects and they work instantly. I usually cut them into 2, 3 or 4 pieces and put them in different spots.

Originally my doctor wanted me to put them on my forearm to help with the nerve tingling I was getting there. It helped but was awkward since I was wearing short sleeves and had this big white patch on my arm. So I experimented and found that putting one on the top of my shoulder stopped most of the pains in my whole arm. I also use them at the top of my back right over my spine to help with the upper back pain I get from my wrecked facets. Occasionally I will put one above my knee when that gets really bad.

I told my doctor about my experimenting and he was 100% behind it. He is willing to up me to 2 or 3 per day if I need them. So far I haven't taken him up on it. Not sure why but I haven't used them as consistently since starting the Lyrica. The great thing about them is they are instant relief and at least for me no residual effect.

Can't wait to hear what you think.
  • Thanks for all that great info.

I read that you can't use more than 15mg per day and only for 12 hours. So, one patch you can cut up and put in different places and that stays within the prescribed dosage? Do you find you need less pain meds when you use them? Can you cut one in half and use the other half the next day or is it a done deal once it's cut?

Geez, I have so many questions. I'll definitely let you know how they work for me. I should be able to pick up my script tomorrow. I think with what you said, putting them on my lumbar where I usually have a radiating pain would be awesome if it helped that.

• Cath,

I used Mobic, for almost a year. According to my physiatrist the Mobic is supposed to have the least side effects with it. I am not sure if the directions say this or not but he said to be sure to use a complete glass of water with it. I had them in 7.5mg x2 a day, sense we were using long term. Until I went off of them for the fusion I didn't think they helped much but I know now they did do wonders. I never had any ill of effects of them when taking them. The patch I used for a foot problem and due the heat my foot was putting off they would tend to melt on me and cause a skin issue, but the relief was good with them as well.
  • Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear the good reviews. I don't know why I always get freaked out when I'm going to try a new med, even the seemingly innocuous ones, but I really appreciate the feedback.

I don't have the directions yet, so thanks for letting me know about the water with it. I know that you can take them with or without food, but didn't know about the water. Makes perfect sense.

My doc might just make me feel better yet and stave off the dreaded less conservative measures for quite a while.
  • I was told by my doctor that I could use up to 3 whole patches a day. Didn't matter how much I cut it up. I've never tried keeping them but I would imagine that if you put the unused half in a ziplock bag it would be fine the next day. It might dry out a bit on the edge but the meds are in the adhesive so it's not like it's going to do anything crazy.

If you haven't seen them yet each patch is in a sealed envelope. It is about 3" x 5" and has a clear plastic backing against the adhesive. If you cut it up do that before removing the backing so you don't mess up your scissors. I like to cut them long ways because I found that the long strip stayed on better. You may also have to play with the exact placement because they sometimes rub off at the edges.
  • I am allowed 2 patches a day, and like was said, it is safe to cut them up to cover areas better. For me they help a little, not as much as I thought they would. Pain medication levels wise; no real change there for me. I might not have found the sweet spot yet. Side affects, none so far.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for the great info Kris and Brenda. I know I can always count on you guys to make me feel better and more comfortable with new meds, etc.

I'll let you know how they work for me. And Brenda, it's good to hear that it's not necessarily a miracle cure, but every little bit helps.

Thanks again my friends.
  • The only problem I had with Lidoderm patches was that the patches would not stay in place on my back. Perspiration will cause the adhesive to break down. The doctor told me to use first aid tape to hold them in place, but trying to do that behind my back was a bit difficult!

Mobic is a COX 2 inhibitor. There are some risks with this drug if you have other medical conditions. Make sure your doctor is aware if you have any heart disease or history of ulcers.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • My insurance is contesting the Lidoderm patches and needs my pharmacy to call my doctor, then have my doctor call the insurance company and confirm that I really need the lidoderm patches.

Well, the way I see it, he wouldn't have prescribed them in the first place if he didn't feel I needed them, right?

Without insurance, they're $250 for 30 patches - not gonna happen. So unless they get it all worked out, then I'm not going to be trying them. However, the pharmacist acted like this happens all the time and should be worked out in about five working days, so it might be ok after all is said and done.

• If the insurance wont cover the Lidoderm patches you may want to ask about Voltaren gel. It is a NSAID which is topical in nature. Works pretty well for most users.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Good luck, Cath. Hope you get it all worked out with your insurance. I have them, but don't even remember what my charge was. I rarely use them, but they do come in handy when the pocket where my SCS is implanted (in my left hip) gets sore after a lot of bending or sitting in a hard seat. I've never tried them anywhere but there.
  • Wow Cathie!

I get mine at 60 patches each month, not a squawk from my insurance. Amazing... I hope it works out for you Cathie.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Cath,

Hope your insurance and the pharmacy get it all worked out. Yes, a box of the patches runs about $250-$270 without insurance, so it puts them out of reach for most if insurance won't cooperate.

As discussed above- up to 3 a day, cut or not, 12 on/12 off. Some (I think Ron?) have been prescribed different timing, but the general seems to be the 12 on, 12 off.

It's a good idea to make sure the skin is dry, lotion or powder free before putting them on. I find that if I place them over the area that generates the most pain and heat on my back I get the best relief from them. They aren't knocking out the pain totally, but I can tell you that on the days I've ran out of the house without remembering to put them on.... have been Really telling. They seem to give me at least, a decent amount of pain relief without any adverse effects.

My doctor offered me a trial pack, I think there were 4 in it? So I was able to give it a trial run before getting a script. I will say that I'm asking for my next script to be made for the 2-3 per day, as, I have to pick and choose what days I'll go without if I use more than 1 a day, and yes, I do use them every day!

Good luck with this and I hope it helps! It's one of those... quality of life kind of things for me.... it really does make my quality of life a little better, so I am loving the fact that I can use them.
  • Ok, got the insurance approval on the lidoderm patches, so good to go there.

The mobic doesn't seem to be doing much, but it seems to be helping a little bit. Enough to notice, but not enough to make things good enough to go down on meds.

The lidoderm patches I can't get to stick. I put them on the back of my neck at the hairline, but Clandy, I haven't washed and dried it before I put them on, so I'll do that. I'll also get some tape to help keep them on. They seem to make a bit of a difference, but I think what's going on is so deep that the med doesn't really reach the area. I don't know, just a thought.

• Hey Cath,

Same problem here with the insurance and the patch. I did try the patches for that arthritic facet joint pain.

I found the topical patch worked great-WHEN I could get it to STAY ON and NOT ROLL OFF.

My doctor recommended I try the Voltaren Gel. He felt it would give me the same relief anD was confident my insurance would cover it. (He also said I would find myself not using oral anti-inflammatories. He was correct.)

I actually like the Voltaren Gel better. I put it on 3-4 times a day. I don't have to worry about it coming off, showing under my clothes, coming off in the sheets or anything like that. It's great whenever I feel those barometric pressure change days coming on....

Either way I sure hope you get some relief.
  • hey cathy,
    I'm with you on trying new meds....altho we have alot on internet we can read all about them...or look up on here....I still like to hear ppl from here post about ther thoughts and experiences...
    So those patches i would neeed alot of them to cut up and put all over my whole body...
    gonna look them up and see the diff from what i was given...the fentynl..
    glad the insurance kicked in...i am truely blessed to have insur... cause if not i wouldnt even attempt to try any meds..
    i dont feel so bad when something doesnt work cause my co-pay is so cheap...
    I so hope doc can find something that improves all your pain..

so far no luck here....
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well, I can get the lidoderm patches to stick very well by rubbing the area with a cotton ball with isopropal alcohol before applying the patch. It's been working great on my lower back pain, which I don't have often, but when I do it's usually a dosey, so that's great. No so much with the neck, some slight relief sometimes, so I only use it there on my worst days.

I think the mobic is helping - my pain doesn't seem as intense as it has most days. Still, not great, but I don't feel like having a neckectomy all day every day any more.

The only thing that's bugging me is the 12 hours on and 12 hours off. I usually have my worst pain in the late afternoon after I've been busy or on the computer too much, so I end up putting it on and it stays on when I go to bed. Then if I have pain the next day, I can't put another one on. It's difficult to find the right way to use them.

So, thanks for the suggestions and wanted to update. Lidoderm patches really are a great help sometimes.