Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 week update on Iowarobin

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All. Well it has been three weeks since my fusion surgery. My Mom left on Sunday, so today was my first day alone. I think I had a small bug that was giving me chills and no appetite.
My Kids and Grandkids came for Christmas this past weekend. My Mom was here, and we all had a great time. It was good that I had a couple weeks before, as I dont think I would have enjoyed the grandkids near as much then.
I am getting in and out of bed easily. I am trying to walk around the house, as it is icy out. I cant drive until I see my surgeon on Jan 27. I did overdo the first week home, and my surgeon put me on steroids and it seemed to help alot. So now I might be a little to cautious. But I keep trying to move.
My pain level is getting better. I want to go down on my fentanyl patches but want to get moving better. Its a tough one to know when to do what. I am glad I had the surgery. They used the Nuvasive system, and I only have a 3 inch incision, that has healed wonderfully. It really makes a difference when they dont cut muscles. The PlIF I had in 2008 was was worse to deal with.
Wish I could drive. Feel so seculded, even in town. But oh well. I am looking forward to doing things I havnt been able to do this coming summer.
Hope all the December surgeries are doing well. We are all very early in recovery, so keep your chins up...Keep in touch!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And things are going well. Now that's good to hear! I also had the Nuvasive procedure. An XLIF on L-2,L-3. And I'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress. Don't do to much to fast.
    God luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I have been thinking about your Robin! Hope your belated Christmas went well:) We got a New Years Day granddaughter that I hope is a harbinger of good things in 2011. I can relate to the feeling secluded- that is hard. I have been cleared to drive but it is scary to go out alone with the ice out there so I don't do much of it. My biggest fear is falling and I have had a few incidents with muscle spasms that make that fear worse so I mostly stay in too.

I have four incisions in my back plus the failed ALIF incision on my stomach so I am still moving pretty slow - but hey we made it 3 weeks now and are in a heck of alot better shape than we were on Dec 13th:)

• Jim, How are you doing? I would like to know how your progress is. What you have experienced. Where you are at on progress.
    Patti,What a blessing to start the New Year! Name, wieght, etc. How are you doing now? My PlIF was alot harder than this one. So I kind of know what you are going through. Do you have a brace? I am kind of surpised that they let you drive already. Are you off pain meds? How are you doing? Are you doing any PT? Does your Dr believe in aqua therapy? It really helps just to walk in the water. Keep me informed girlfriend! I want to know everything you are up to...
  • Great to hear that you're doing well after your surgery and that it wasn't as bad as the PLIF. The bad thing, is that with the small incision it might make your mind think it wasn't a big surgery so you do too much.

You said you overdid it when you got home from the hospital so you "might" be more cautious, well I'm hoping that "might" changes to a "will". Small incision doesn't mean small surgery.

I'm so glad you got to enjoy the family during the holidays and now it's time to relax and let your body heal. Make sure to keep us posted!

Congrats on being on the other side and better already.
  • GOOD GOOD! THRILLED to hear your doing better :D

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have a beautiful Grandaughter named Kinsleigh Anne who was the New Years Baby for her city. She is a big girl weighing in at 8'9" so I have only been holding her on my lap as I am not steady enough for anything else yet.

I started PT at 2 weeks but all they are doing is trying to stretch the muscles to get rid of the muscle spasms that are horrendous. I have to say that during the day I feel good - and am only taking Extra Strength Tylenol for pain but at night when I try to lay down the spasms take over and it is pur misery even with a very high dose of muscle relaxants.

From reading other people's postings I know that I am pretty lucky to be as far along as I am and the Doctor said I could start Water Walking next week - he wanted to give the 5 - yes FIVE and all long incisions a good chance to heal. I am really looking forward to it as the water therapy was really all I could do the last 3 months or so before the therapy and I miss the social aspect as well as the exercise.

I am trying to eat healthy and walk short distances very frequently which is going good - now if only I could find a way to sleep more than an hour or two at a time.

It is great to hear you sounding so upbeat and optimistic - have you made an progress with your insurance yet?

• Great to hear you're doing well and that you had a wonderful Christmas with family. That's good you had your Mom with you helping out. I hope this darn weather gets better for you so you can go for a walk. You're a strong woman to overcome all that you have last year. Hope it's the best year ever for 2011 for your healing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am thrilled to see that you are doing so well!

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the holidays. O:)

Take good care and don't over do yourself.

Hugs to you,

• Hey girl!!!!!! :H

You have made me so happy that I got back here today. I've missed you but life in agony makes it hard to find time for much.

I'm so glad your surgery is healing so well!!!! I might want a dr referral from you!! >:D< :* >:D< =D>
  • It's good to hear you're all making progress with your recovery. Just make sure you don't overdo it. And a great big congrats, Patti, for your New Year's Baby granddaughter! Love and hugs, Essmoe
  • Good to hear that you've got less pain now and doing well, even though you can't get outside and walk - that must be so frustrating! It'll be good once you get the ok to drive again.

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • good news your recovery is going well, im glad you were able to enjoy a lovely xmas with your family.

the smaller incision would help with recovery(and as you say u can compare it to the PILF), but still you have had major surgery inside, so take it easy, lol, ok. hang in there, be carefull, then you can let loose , when your fusion heals

• Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you are doing well. So nice that you had your mom there with you for the first while, that would be helpful. Glad that you enjoyed your Christmas with family. Sorry you aren't able to get outside and walk. Keep up the great work, take it easy, hope for great success and pain relief for you.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012