Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

rasputin6948rrasputin6948 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all! I am sorta new to this board but wanted to ask. I am getting 2 levels in cervical done on Thursday. I wanted to know how many of you felt a recliner helped you sleep/relax and if you have a favorite model. I am slightly freaking out about this stupid surgery but it has been a long odyssey to get to this point. I am only 37 years old but have been through the ringer getting to this point. I have had back pain for a few years and came to a head last april 2010. I have done EVERYTHING besides surgery till this point (2 epidurals/PT/deep tissue massage/chiro/accupuncture/lost 60 lbs). Yea I know I am young but dangit it is a quality of life issue for me. I have a 3 and 5 year old and I can barely stay vertical anymore. Most of the time I am on my back with a heating pad! So any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great articles and videos on ACDF surgery throughout the site as well as articles on recovery, etc. I think you'll also enjoy the forums, as the members are very supportive and helpful.

We bought a recliner specifically for my ACDF recovery and it was (and still is) MY place to be. I slept in it for a week or so after surgery and it's always been the most comfortable place for me to park.

Mine is fairly narrow, but very cushy. It has big pillow arms and a big pillow where my head goes. The foot rest is also very plush. It's the kind where you pull a little tab to release the foot rest and you can put the rest at any level - it doesn't have to be either down or all the way up. Sometimes just slightly reclining with my feet just a few inches off the floor feels best. I do have to push down with my feet to get the foot rest back in place, but I didn't find it to be a problem.

I'll bet you'll find a lot of neckies who loved their recliners during recovery. I also have a rolling table next to mine that is adjustable up and down and two-thirds of it can also tilt and has a bar so things won't slide off when it's tilted.

These are the two best things I ever got for my recovery. There's also bendy straws, a comfy blanket, additional pillows and other things that come in handy. Check out the Post-op Must Haves list in the Surgery section at the top. It's a daunting list, but you won't need everything.

Good luck on your surgery - I know it's scary, but many times the anticipation is worse than the surgery. I hope you wake up feeling better like so many of us have and that you get to come home the next day.

Take care and ask any questions you need to before surgery. I'm sure I left off a few post ACDF necessities that others will chime in on.

• I just had a 3 level cervical fusion and for me the bed is the most comfortable place for me. I just can't seem to get comfortable in my recliner. Maybe this weekend I'll have my husband switch the recliners around and give his a try. I think the one I'm trying is a little to firm.
  • Diane, I'm glad that you find your bed to be comfortable. Each of us has our own space that is best and you may find that your bed is going to stay the best. I like my recliner because it faces the TV. LOL I'm not a huge TV watcher, but when you're recovering, there aren't a lot of options as to what you can do, so movies rate right up there.

Rasputin, I'm anxious to hear where you end up parking and being the most comfortable. I always like to hear the different stories as to how people get comfortable after surgery.

After my TLIF, my recliner was still the most comfortable, but not for most who have had lumbar surgery. It's to each his own when it comes to comfort post-op and all you need to do is find it. Recovery is difficult enough without finding a place you know you will be comfortable and have all your things around you.

Ooops, went on a little tangent there.
  • I agree with Cath111. You should rest wherever you will be more comfortable.
  • I hope your surgery went well. I could not sleep anywhere but in a recliner for two weeks after my surgery. I rented one from a medical supply store and it was the smartest thing I ever did. I'm curious to see where you end up finding the most comfortable.
  • Rasputin, I hope your surgery went well.

Your situation is eerily similar to mine. Basically everything you wrote is what has happened to me. We're the same age, I've been through the wringer(work comp), have had neck/arm pain for a few years, and have had 3 epidurals/PT/deep tissue massage/chiro, etc.

I'm not trying to thread jack but I saw this thread and found your story interesting.I too feel this is a 'quality of life' issue. Thankfully, I was just approved for my ACDF yesterday so I will be having my surgery on 2/8/11.

I was looking up mypillows.com and decided to come on here. I told my wife that I would probably sleep in my recliner for at least a week if not longer because that's where I'm the most comfortable. As I type this, I'm sitting here with a heating pad which I noticed you use as well.

Again, I hope your surgery went well and hope when you feel better you can come back an update us. Take care,

Cat5 Cane
  • Surgery went well! I have been dealing with a fair amount of pain though and also running a fever now so gonna check about at. The recliner works wonders! Also they found a large bone spur and removed it and could have been causing pain.
  • Forgot to say doc was really peppy about my recovery lol. He was acting like i can drive in a few days as long as im not hopped up on pain meds. Is he nuts? What can i expect as far as things going back to normal with driving and work??
  • rasputin6948 said:
    Surgery went well! I have been dealing with a fair amount of pain though and also running a fever now so gonna check about at. The recliner works wonders! Also they found a large bone spur and removed it and could have been causing pain.
    That's great to hear rasputin. Does your hip hurt more than your neck? I hope your pain will lessen as well as your fever. I'm not sure about your pillow situation once you are able to sleep in bed, but mypillow.com pillows come highly recommended by a couple of my friends that have had fusion/severe headaches. It might be something you could look into.
  • I have slept in my recliner since my surgery (12/9/2010). Still find it more comfortable than the bed which I still try every now and then.
    What to expect: Take the pain meds as directed in the beginning don't wait for it to hurt. It can take 1 - 1 1/2 hours for the pain meds to really help. Take muscle relaxers as needed. Your body has been through a lot, a stool softener is very helpful to help your body as it is dealing with the anesthesia and pain meds. Are you wearing a collar? Every dr is different. I had a hard collar for a few days and then a soft one for 3 weeks. Now I only wear is it I am in the car, out in public or in pain. After 4-5 days at home I was able to stop all pain meds on a regular basis and just took once in a while. I only drive short distances. You really need to have decent range of motion to be able to drive. WHen you do, you have to remember to turn your body not your neck. I am still not back to work, hope to begin next week, I'm a teacher. Good Luck and keep us posted.