Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help after surgery for singles

twinklesttwinkles Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I am twinkles. I have been diagnosed with L4-5 spondylolisthesis and stenosis. The procedure is L4-5 TLIF using PEER, BMP, pedical or cortical screws. My concern is that I have no family in the area where I live or able to come to assist me. Most of my friends still are working and are not able to come to assist me either. They can do a quick stop in or bring in groceries. BUT I need 24/7 care especially immediately after the surgery. It seems that I can go to a nursing home or hire a private pay aide to assist me. Is there any other option? I would like to have insurance coverage, but mine does not cover having an aide. The nursing homes with rehab that I have visited are depressing and I don't think I will receive the care I need. So HELP, what do singles do?
advertisement

Comments

• Maybe contact a local church and see if they have any type of charitable group set up for supporting those in need. If they don't, they may know of some other resources in your area.

"C"
  • I needed so much more help than I ever expected after a simple microdiscectomy. Can you get a referral to a different surgeon closer to your family so that you can go stay with them?
  • My family is in NE Ohio. I am in Atlanta, GA. My family all have jobs and are not available to care for me. So this is not an option either. What do singles do in cases like this? My church is set up to bring food only in situations like this. Care 24/7 is a big task to take on for anyone.
  • My church is set up to bring food out to those in this kind of situation. But I will ask my pastor if he knows of a group or individuals who volunteer this kind of care.
  • I'm having a TLIF done soon on the L5S1 level - so good luck to both of us. By the way, what is PEER?

I was told that I would have a stay of 5 days in the hospital. So during the most critical time you'll have 24 hour hospital care.

I have an out-of-the-box idea. Perhaps hire a baby nurse? They're used to doing 24 hour care and they might be willing to take on someone like you if their business is slow while the economy is down.

Another idea is to do the surgery in NE Ohio so that your family will be there for you. I wouldn't compromise on the level of medical care, but if it's comparible that may be a good alternative. Your family members can set up a schedule where they each take one day off from work.

One more idea (without knowing anyone's financial situation) can you pay a family member of yours a week's salary to come down and take care of you?!

And how much is a day in a rehabilitation center? Perhaps call them up and price it. Ask them how low can they go for you since your insurance doesn't cover it and you have no family or friends to take you in. BTW, I think it's tax deductible.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.
advertisement