Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got my mri results

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, I got the results today from the MRI I had a couple of weeks ago. As some of you may or may not remember, I have had new symptoms arise on the left side, from severe pain in my neck down through my arm and hand, and numbness in my hand and tingling. The results reflect all of this as it's mostly on the left side.

It seems that the osteophytes are back (they were removed in my foraminotomy in Apr 09) from C3-C6.

C4-5, spurs are causing mild spinal stenosis, and foraminal stenosis, moderate on right, severe on left, and C5 nerve root impingement

C5-6,spurs causing mild spinal stenosis,moderate foraminal stenosis with C6 impingement

C6-7, disc bulge indenting thecal sac

The bone spurs at C3/4 are new, as well as the bulging disc, I didn't have any problems in these areas before. And of course, the good old DDD, moderate to severe amongst the levels is still there.

The interesting thing that I found out, just a little UFI here, it noted that there was T2 hyperintensity. When I was looking up what the heck that meant, there was a note that said this was common in people who have major depressive order. Just something I thought was interesting, proving that depression does physically affect us. Anyways, that is located within the central aspect of the cord at C7. I'm not exactly sure what that means, except there's some sort of abnormality, like possibly a lesion? Guess I'll find out when I see my pcp next week.

So, not great, but not bad either, I'll just have to see what the ns says, but I don't think any of this is indicative of more surgery. I hope...
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• Hmm interesting stuff. Isn't it nice when you actually understand some of the report? I remember when I had my first MRIs I had no idea what they meant.

I guess osteophytes are like scar tissue?? I have the same problem..what they removed in my surgery came back within 6 months. I remember my ob/gyn telling me years ago that if you are prone to scar tissue it doesn't matter if you remove it because it will come right back. Guess it's a genetic thing.

I'd be curious to hear more about the T2 stuff. I always wondered what all that T2 stuff in the reports was about. Now you're going to make me pull out the old reports. :) A fun night of reading :)
  • sorry Kris, hehe. Osteophytes are bone spurs, which undoubtedly will grow back, as it's the spine's way of strengthening itself due to the DDD.

About the T2, all I know from reading about it, is that's the type of MRI image it is. lol, at first I thought it meant the T2 disc!!
  • Kelly,

I'm replete with those stupid osteophytes! My surgeon doesn't go in just to remove them, as like you're seeing they will come back if the offending issue causing the body to make them is still there. I did a bunch of reading on them when I first found I had them years ago, and that was borne out.

What's scary is sometimes the MRI doesn't really "see" them all, and if you do have surgery you find out they were way worse than was thought. I had that at my C6/7. My MRI for that one was big on the disk on the right exit nerve, but only casually mentioned osteophytes! My NS said they covered half the disk space!

I hope the 'verdict' is no more surgery at this time for ya too! Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed for ya!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda!! Yes, I find it kind of funny how the reports seem to be so blase about everything, while the language is so intimidating at the same time. I was the same way, he had to remove part of the vertebrae because the one complex I had was so large. I think it was C5. Thanks for the wishes!!
  • Kelly,

On both of mine they had to do a partial corpectomy. One due to the osteophytes, the other for inflamed bone. Between the two, I've grown 3mm! Rofla!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good luck on your upcoming appointment. It sounds like you've got a lot going on in there!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Kelly that's interesting about the osteophytes. I never considered why they grew. So there must be something else going on at my T1/2 that caused it to grow and then grow back when it was removed. I guess that is why the doctor suggested doing a fusion next time. Gives me something to think about.

I also thought they meant T2 on the MRI. Couldn't figure it out for a while. Still don't really understand but I will do some checking into the depression that you mentioned.

When do you see the doc?
  • Brenda, I've actually shrunk, which is okay, I could spare the few mm, lol.

Jim, don't say that!! lol, I actually thought it was a lot less than what was going on prior to my surgery.

Kris, yes it made perfect sense when it was explained that way to me about the osteophytes. Pretty neat how our bodies react and try to fix themselves!

I do have to admit, I had a sinking feeling when I first saw the T2 thing, thought "oh great, it's not bad enough I have problems in both the cervical and lumbar levels, but now thoracic?" So I was quite relieved when I looked it up and found out it was just the name of the MRI image, hehe.

I see my pcp next Monday, but she admittedly doesn't know much about the spine and has said that I probably know more about it than she does now, lol. Which is kind of a good thing, because now she listens to me, where in the beginning she didn't, and entertains my requests now - which is how this MRI came about, and referral back to my NS (still waiting to hear when that will be).

I'm so glad I could help someone with this!!
  • I had a 3-lvl ACDF (C4-7) in Oct. 2008 and on my x-ray, one of the bone spurs was huge - it actually looked like Jimmy Durante's nose.

My most recent MRI and CT scan in July shows a new bone spur that has grown at C5/6 and indenting the thecal sac, but doesn't touch the cord.

My doctor said that it was good news because it means I have bone growth, which is what we all want in order to fuse. Hmmmm. Bone spur being a good thing...never heard that one before. I have to wonder if it's the off-label BMP that most surgeons use in cervical fusions.

Kelly, I'm anxious to hear what your doc says. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there's no more surgeries in your future.

• Kelly,

Good to hear you got a MRI done. Is the doctor whom ordered this all going to look at the MRI themselves or just the report? I ask cause depending on the radiologist the report may or may not be as accurate as it should be.

The T2 weighted is a high resolution image in the series they use. So if you actually have the Mri series you should see some images that aren't weighted like that.

As far as the bone spurs maybe good thing or not, but I seem to be avoiding those issues. Kelly, hopefully this will yield some answers as to why your having issues, keep us posted on the outcome.
  • Glad that you were able to get an MRI done. Hope that everything on it gets explained to you and that you don't need further surgery. I think from our previous conversations your NS is based out of the same hopital as mine...here's hoping you get in fast. I'm still waiting for a call :<
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Cathie, well I'm glad it's a good thing for you!! I haven't had a fusion (yet) though, so for me, it's not so great...

Tammy, thanks for more info on the T2 thing. My pcp is the one who ordered the mri, so she'll just be looking at the report, but the NS of course, will look at both. We don't get the actual images as patients ourselves (or even the report) it gets sent straight to the dr. I had it sent to both my pcp and pm, so I got the copy of the report from my pm when I was there yesterday. I'm a little afraid as to what the surgeon will say, as he told me after my last one that he did the foraminotomy instead of fusion, to delay it, but I'm not going to worry until I see him, which hopefully will be soon!

Karen, yes at the Civic? Mine is daSilva. Hope we both hear back quickly!!
  • Hang in there, sis! ;)

I am glad the results are in and I hope you get scheduled to see the NS real soon.

Until that date...

Keep taking good care of yourself and don't over do it. You know when it's time to chill, get the heating pad out and any other items you have placed in your treasure chest.

You're always in my thoughts and prayers. And please vent, whenever you need to. That's important!

Luv ya,

P.S. I've shrunk 1/2 an inch myself... LOL!!!