Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Epidurals

tomatotomttomatotom Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have had 2 epidurals, both of which provided no relief. The second epidural was done on both sides at L5. I have radiating shooting pain to both butt to legs to feet. I get numbness in my feet. I am only 24, active healthy male. Now I have a hard time walking for any period of time. The doc said I would be a good candidate for surgery, and was going to talk to a surgeon. Now I have to wait. Any ideas of the kinds of surgery possible?

• First of all, when confronted with surgery, always get a second opinion. Despite what your surgeon tells you, most spine surgery involves a very long recovery process. If you have a disc or something impinging on a nerve, they may end up performing a spine fusion and laminectomy (both of which I've had). I recently read, however, that more than 60% of people who have these surgeries don't need them. I'm apparently one of them, as the pain I'm experiencing now is worse than the pain I had before surgery. I recently had 3 epidural injections, and none of them worked either.

Try everything else first. Physical therapy. Acupuncture. TENS (electrical stimulation) unit.