Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie Here.

boostedcpebboostedcpe Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Have pain, just got back from the doctor. L2-L3 disc extrusion that is close to lodging in the nerve area. Doctor recommended microdiscectomy. I started with the pain back in October after working out doing weight lifting program. Treated it initially with chiropractic, no relief. The Chiropractor ordered a MRI, had that looked at by my PCP and he recommended pain management to start, had 2 epidurals, 1st one helped with pain for about a month, actually went in for 2nd shot right before Christmas still feeling pretty good. Had the second shot, and by the next week I was in the local ER not able to put any weight on my left leg. ER doc set me up with a medryl pack(sp?) some Percocet and Motrin, within a day or so I was able to put pressure back on the leg, but cannot stand up straight, can't lay down or sleep, its terrible. I went to see a neurosurgeon today, he told me the films show the l2/l3 disc actually breaking away and it needs to be taken care of right away before it gets worse. I have been looking on the net and came across this site, looks good. Doc says this is not the typical area, but has treated lots of folks with the same issue. Anyone on here have any experience with this? Thanks.

• MK,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!! My lumbar issues are L2/3/4 (L2/3 nerves affected). For me, back pain, radiates to the outer sides of my butt, and wraps around the front of my legs down to my knees. My disks are protruding into the exit nerves, and back on the thecal sac. Thanks to this, I have to walk with a cane as my legs become weak in no time; stairs are impossible without a rail on one side, and the hubby on the other - especially going up.

As to surgery, you have to go with your gut, and too your doctors. If you're not sure, there is nothing wrong with getting another opinion. Me, I am trying to hold off as long as I can - as long as I am not causing further damage. Please let us know how it goes. Again, Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda for the reply. Sounds like you and I have the same kind of issue going on, I have the same areas of pain you describe, but no weakness yet. I am nervous, like most would be, but after speaking to about a dozen friends and family who have had the micro done, NONE of them regret it, so that eases my concern a bit. I wanted to wait as long as possible too, but from the docs recommendations that doesnt appear feasable. I believe him as I have a friend who is a chiropractor who is primarily straight chiro and he wont touch me. He had a chance to go over my MRI and was going to have me do decompression on a machine he got about 2 years ago, he wont do it because of the extrusion. He did recommend class IV laser therapy, saying that it could heal the disc, but absolutely no manipulation and no decompression as it would probably make things much worse.

Thanks again for your information and welcome, looking forward to using this place as a resource as needed.
  • You're Welcome! If I remember right, my weakness started showing up around 6 months after the initial "back pain" appeared. These levels are only about 10% of the 'normal' spine issues for the lumbar. The other 90% are the L4/5/S1 types.

Aside from that area being injured when I crashed in 85, continuing to fly another 18 years, the posture I held when flying, that is what stressed mine causing the disks to start failing. If I'm in a chair that I can move around in, then I can sit for hours, but a restricted seat (airliner, bus, front seats of cars, some restaurants etc.) 15 minutes. Standing and walking kills me the most.

Please let us know how it goes for ya.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.