Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Squatting vs bending at the waist....RESOLUTION

cgmccgm Posts: 289
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I was told by my Neuro at my one month post op appt that I could go back to normal activity. I asked him if bending at the waist was okay at this point. He said your not going to mess anything up. Your hardware will keep everything in place. Well...I do bend at the waist...when I reach here and there and there are times when I drop something and pick it up without squatting (okay alot). I'm actually pissed at myself for not being more cognitive of exactly how I have been bending over. No more. I vow to squat daily should I drop anything on the floor. Not only will this take stress off my fusion, but perhaps give me more muscle tone in my glutes and quads. So bonus!!! Also, i've got that impending doom....that I've screwed something up and my next xray is going to show my hardware floating around my shoulder blade. Okay vent over! Squat on spineys

• Squat on....LOL I wish I could! My S-eye joint problems don't allow me to squat. But what I don't understand is why our brain (the master computer, you'd spose) doesn't tell us...Hey dont try that because you wont be able to, or you'll be stuck and hollerin for someone to help you out of the position you'r in!

It's been 6 years and I still have to get help for getting up from kneeling down!!!!why wont my brain stop me from doin it???? ~X(
  • }:) I am 4+ years past my L1-L5 fusion and I can only squat. Not very ladylike sometimes but it is 2nd nature now since I can't do anything else. I have noticed over the years that I have been able to make my hip flexors more flexible and can bend forward from the waist but only out horizontally, nowhere near the ground!!

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with bone graft from hip, PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • :)Hopefully the squatting will firm and tone mine as well!