Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any one else experience this with ACDF

siltyssilty Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I underwent an ACDF surgery oct 2010. Although recovery is going it is slow. Prior to waking up numb from waist down and could barely walk which led to the discovery of herniated disk at c5-6 my right knee had been bothering me. Best I can describe was it felt like it could buckle at any moment and when i got down on my knees say to play w/kids it was very painful. I had an xray on the knee it was negative. After my surgery my knee felt better.

However last couple of weeks it is doing the same as listed above. This morning I actually just walking to the refridgerator it actually did give out and I hit the floor ! That was the first time.

Now mind you prior to my surgery I could barely walk and my right leg for some reason was more affected i could only lift it off the ground about an inch got so bad I had to hang on to my husband to even walk and yes it is my right knee that is bothering me.

So I am wondering could the knee be connected to my neck issues or do you think 2 seperate issues going on ? And has anyone else experienced this at all if their neck problems affected their legs?

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You.

• HI Silty,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find members in the same position as yourself. As far as can neck issues cause leg issues, the answer is yes. But you also need to know that the lumbar area can greatly effect the legs. I would make a call to your surgeon and let them know what is going on and they may want you to be checked by another doctor. You could have a knee issue that is causing all the problems or for that matter any number of things going on. But start with your surgeon and see what he/she would think is the best thing to figure out what is going on. Before you originally had surgery I am assuming the surgeon knew of the leg issues? Keep us posted as to what you find out.
  • Thank You for your reply. I did not mention my knee problem to the surgeon. However during my diagnois process I did have a knee xray which was neg and also a lower back xray and was told no spinal stenosis. It was not until I had the cervical mri w/dye that they found the herniated disk, bone spur and cord compression. So I didn't honestly think to mention to him, but I feel it is a weird coincidence.
    Thank You again it did just start hurting me again so maybe i will give it a few more days.

Also what do you think about joing a gym? I was given no restrictions and have been loafing around and have put on a few pounds and was over weight to start. My only thing is I can't walk very far without getting back muscle spasms and a real bad limp but i thought if i gradualy started with treadmill maybe might help? any thought on that..thank you again...