Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Microdiscectomy?

backjackbbackjack Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there,

I've been suffering from pain in my lower back/buttock area for 8 months now. (I'm 19 years old) I've had accupuncture, visited an osteopath, physiotherapist, and had a nerve block injection. I went on a pretty active holiday over the summer and took cataflam anti-inflammatory tablets while there and was able to function almost entirely normally, including mountain treks and all, but that was a few months back and I only stayed on that medication for 40 days or so as I felt it wasn't healthy to live on them all the time! Anyway, my orthopaedic surgeon is now recommending an L5/S1 microdiscectomy as the only remedy he can now offer me. (I have a herniated disc there) Says there is an 85% success rate, after which I would be required to build up my core to support my height (i'm 6 ft 4).
I'm very reluctant to have full on back surgery so young without exhausting all my options, and I'm just wondering if anyone could share with me their experiences as to how they perhaps avoided surgery or if you know of anyone my age who may have successfully had the surgery.. Basically anything you can share with me would be much appreciated!

• Hey there backjack, I had a micro d on the same level about six months ago. Im 6'4 also and just turned 25. So it sounds like we are pretty similar. I will share my experience with you. I had a pretty good sized herniation that I delt with for almost 3 years before I got the surgery. After the surgery I felt good. At the one week mark I felt almost like a normal person except for some lingering soreness.

I had a little bad luck in my second week and something hurt me and eventually found out I re herniated it. I'm still trying to get better and may possible get a second micro d. But all in all I still came out better than I was before surgery. I can walk much much better and stand alot better too.

Just make sure you have a good surgeon who you can get some stats on, and who will answer all of your Q's without trying to push you to do it.

• How many spine specialized surgeons have you consulted with?

I'm about twice as old as you, but I've had 2 successfull microdiscectomies.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I've just seen this guy. I will obviously be seeking a second opinion and I'm also going to give the McKenzie book a shot. Would prefer to avoid this at all costs really.