Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Today is my 6th week

f4tune81ff4tune81 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Age 51, 6 weeks of pain from my prearticular L5S1 herniation on right. Have a great team of docs assembled and am improving, but still cannot walk more than 10 yards comfortably or stand more than about 2 or 3 minutes before have to sit. Blessed with relief in lying down position (often use the floor!) and usually better with sitting. This forum looks outstanding and I'm looking forward to reading about the experiences of others.

• Welcome to spine Health! :H
    This is a great place to learn about spinal problems and meet friendly people who care and understand what you are going through.

I also had problems standing and walking very far, but lying down on the floor gave relief. I was often to be found lying on the floor!

Eventually I gave in and went to see a spinal surgeon. My MRI showed that I had severe stenosis and a spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra). He said if I didn't have surgery, I would end up in a wheelchair. I had surgery within about 3 weeks!!!

I am feeling so much better now, although I do still have some pains and nerve symptoms.

What do your doctors say?

• Still suggesting waiting, another 6 weeks, then decide about surgery. I think a minimally invasive surgery might suit this, and hopefully that won't be necessary.
  • Good news, my herniated disc responded to (1) more time and (3) my 3rd epidural block, and (3) Upward facing dog / modified position. Especially I am enthused about #3. In any event, I have gotten significantly better and am able to stand slightly longer, not yet able to walk for pleasure and certainly not run or do any overhead lifting exercises. Still limiting myself to deloading exercises (assisted chins, assisted dips), stretching, and lots of sitting and lying down.

I hope all of you are doing well and at least seeing some improvement. I don't know if I will get better or worse but am trying hard to at least keep even for now. Signing off
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. that is good news that you are feeling better... stay with your program if it is working for you! good luck! Jenny :)