Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I really could use some ideas on how to get through this....

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Water Cooler
I have posted before that I need a knee replacement. I seen the surgeon yesterday. He confirmed I need both knees replaced.

Through MRI's - X-rays and his own hands on testings/exams he has a score that he uses to know how involved the knees are. He told me most people get their knee replaced at a score of lower 20's or high teens. ( The highest score is 100 being the best ). I am a MINUS in both knees :(

We went over every detail of the surgeries and I feel very confident in him and comfortable with getting both of them done at the same time. We decided that way as of my back injury.

The problem is - he can't do the surgery until March 15th :jawdrop:
That is over 2 months away. I am already falling a LOT even using two canes, a walker and a lot of times my wheelchair. I don't sleep well any more - even while sleeping I feel the pain.

BUT we also both agree not to up my current pain meds for several reasons.

1. I really don't want to and then have to fight my body to readjust to a lower amount later after healed.

2. He is already going to have a difficult time over coming my current meds with new/stronger ways to handle my pain after surgery. He is going to give me a femoral nerve block in both legs and then order novocaine injections as needed afterwards plus a temporary pain pump.

SO having explained all of that..... I need tips, advice, opinions on how to stay sane over these next 2 months???

My knees have hurt for yrs but nothing like they do since I fell on Thanksgiving day. Just going since then has drained me so very very much, I just don't know how to get through the next 2 months.

I know that many of you have had to wait longer then 2 months to be "fixed" - please please tell me how to stay strong.

PS: I am going to keep using this same thread to update as things go along with my knees, instead of making new threads as things happen/change. So to stay updated with my knees ck in here ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble with both your knees and that you are having to wait to have them sorted out.

Keep posting here! That is one way to help you get through these months.

You have obviously been struggling for quite a while with your knees. Another 2 months sounds like a long time, but take it a week at a time and hopefully the time will soon pass.

In the meantime, can you arrange some things to do to help to pass the time? If you have some nice things on the horizon, that should make the time at least seem to pass more quickly.

Other than that, I can't offer much help other than to sympathise with you.
    I have trouble with my knees, but have not actually fallen. They just give way sometimes, especially when I am going downstairs or down a slope and if I try to suddenly walk quickly (to get out the way of a bus coming along, this week). I always hold on the bannister with at least one hand when coming downstairs, and have done for about 3 years.
    Just after my spinal fusion my knee gave way when I was coming downstairs after a few weeks and I very nearly fell. Wow! That scared me!

I have an appointment on 15th March to see a neurosurgeon about my neck. I have been waiting since 10th August! but I am in the UK, so we expect to wait. I'll think of you that day :-)

Hope that the time will pass quicker than you anticipate. >:D< >:D< >:D<

• I was thinking of taking up knitting again being so immobile. I was able to make slippers and scarfs when I first started knitting so not sure if you're interested in doing anything like that kind of craft when you're recovering?

Maybe in the meantime getting any dental work done or eye exams or haircut and pedicure done before you go into your surgery. I know it's not really a priority but when I was a student nurse I worked in rehab and one of the patients had no family and she begged me to shave her legs for her while she was recovering so you may want to get a wax or something beforehand.

It must be a relief to get a nerve block and pain pump to help you make it through the next two months though. Best wishes and we're here to support you through this time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Beth,

Like Jelly said, "keep posting here" to help you through to March. I don't see my Neurologist until March 4th, and yeah it bites. The good thing Beth? You have a date, a light at the end of the tunnel, the finish line!!!!

Scrap booking, reading, good movies, favorite music, new hobbies? Of course, "us" to talk with in here.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • WOW I havnt had replacment, but I have had scopes. So I dont know much to tell you, except that I hope it all works out for you. Maybe a hospital bed would be a good thing to rent, so you can have a easier time elavating them? I hope that your wait goes fast. I know it is hard to wait for something that you feel will make you better. Good Luck and I will be watching for you to keep us informed on your progress. Take care, Robin
  • My Thanks to all of you - HUGE :hug: !!!!

You each have given me some great ideas to do while waiting for the next 2 months to pass.

charry - I don't have the nerve block or pain pump yet. That is for after the surgeries -as due to the pain meds I am currently on it will be tough to handle a "higher" pain level. But I am thankful the Dr understands this. One of of my big worries was that I was going to be in agony. I had an ablation over 1 yr ago and post surgery I was in this situation as no one thought about my current pain meds :(

I will post back here and keep you all updates as I go...

Thanks again :D

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.