Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Company - the toll it takes

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Matters of the Heart
As most of you know, my niece is in town from Ireland and I've been very excited about her stay with us. I picked her up from the airport last Wednesday, Jan 5, and I'm taking her back to the airport for her to head to Kansas on Tuesday, Jan. 11. Then I have an interview for a job on Wed. Jan 12.

I doubt if I have to tell any of you this, but the toll this is taking on my body with all the activity, driving, standing, cooking for family that's coming over today, getting ready for church because she's going to sing, and just being "on" all the time is huge.

The good news is that we have no plans tomorrow and it's supposed to snow, so we'll all probably just hang at home and vegetate. But I'll still have to cook, clean up after her, etc.

I feel tired down to my bones, my pain levels are unbelievable, and as much as I love her, I'm very anxious for things to get back to normal.

The bottom line is, having company come and stay is so much harder for us than normals and I feel like I need to sleep for an entire week, only waking to take my meds.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey cath,

So know how you feel, as much as you love your guests, it's so good to get back to your normal routine. Just get the rest you need and don't over do it.
    Take care and be safe,
  • OMG I am with you Cath, I'm glad the holidays are over...My H and I seem to be summoned each year to drive 6 hours to the city his mom, sister and his two boys live. This year was difficult for me as I rode in a car for 6 hours one way. I had surgery on Nov 3rd. We Slept on a horrible mattress. I hurt so bad...but I sucked it up. I was so glad to be home in my own bed. I'm going to flat out refuse to go anywhere next holiday season...they can drive over to our neck of the woods regardless of how great I feel. Ha who am I kidding...that will never happen :(
  • So sorry to hear your pain levels are up. I went through much of what you're describing over the holidays as my activity was way up there going here and there on our RV trip, and trying to see all relatives in that short time - it takes it out of you for sure. It took me close to a week after I got home to 'normalize' (whatever that means right?) again.

Like you, love the kin to death, but glad that the calm and control has returned. Hoping you feel rested and better soon. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry you're having so much pain Cathie. We do forget how tiresome it is having company and how much extra pain it causes. I know it took me a week after Christmas to get over it--like everyone else. I guess that's what we get for trying to be normal huh?

I'll be thinking of you and hope you can get some rest today. Take care

• It's amazing you're able to do as much as you're doing and you may be running on pure adrenalin and love for your Niece. I know my brother and father were here only a few hours and it was difficult to sit on the couch for so long. I hope you can rest up and get ready for your job interview. Thinking of you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Boy, oh boy do I agree! We had the best Christmas with our son in the Navy home for the 1st time in 5 years! And I love him dearly and enjoyed our family being together but all the extra activities that the season brings, extra work with company and the fact that I gave the bed up I use frequently I was a mess by the end of the week, even with my husband and boys kicking in to do things. Then the day after our son left my husband's nephew and family(from Mi) came to visit. It was suppose to be a drop by to say HI but they ended up needing a place to stay for 3 days and with 6&7 yr old girls we couldn't say no. That's what really did me in! I about pushed them out the door Wed. afternoon because they didn't want to go home and kept prolonging it and I was so exhausted from the pain,etc! I know how you feel and what you need! I spent the rest of this week in my low/easy to get in/out of bed with 2 heating pads,extra meds,extra rest to get back to my normal routine. I'm still working on it so I know it will take you awhile too. Luckily, my husband and 20 yr old son are both helpful, self sufficient and know my "normal" routine includes less time sitting and doing things about the house.

Just the time sitting, standing, and entertaining is exhausting and increases pain from that tolerable level to over the top, doesn't it? Then it wears you down to try to keep up.

We love our family/friends and enjoy spending time with them but we pay for acting normal when our bodies are far from it, don't we? Mostly it is worth it. But it takes so long to get back to our "normal" even once back on our special routines. But while we're resting we can appreciate the fact that we survived and better yet, have good memories of the time spent together,making it all worth while in the end.

I hope you feel well enough to get through your job interview and if/when offered the job give them a start date of 1-2 weeks from now so you can get rested up and pain in control beforehand. Maybe the weather will be bad enough there the next few days that they will cancel it for a few days...you can hope! Good Luck Cath!