Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op update Part 2

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi as some of you know I had my lower spine surgery L-4 to S-1 on December 14, 2010. This surgery landed me back in the hospital 2 days after release from surgery for 3 days with unbearable pain in my right leg to foot, right hip area and lower back, They treated it with steroids and it did go from unbearable pain to bearable with pain meds. Also my right leg had no major problems prior to sugery it was my left leg that was very bad. I had a Liminectomy L-4 to S-1 to cure chronic back and leg pain that was wordening over the kast few years and affecting my walking, sitting, standing and even lying down.

The update is that now my right leg still has pain, and my left leg has joined back in. Sitting and walking are getting more difficult and painful. I have been woke up from my sleeo with the terrible pain in my legs and lower back and I almost went to the ER, but I toke pain meds quickly and after about an hour it lessened to bearable.

To make this more weird, I had an ACDF on August 4, 2010 to protect my upper spine and to relieve pain and numbness in my left arm and hand which it did quite well. Well in the last week my index and middle fingers of my left hanf have with the slightest pressure to them started painfully sort of shocking my hand from the inside.

I don't know what I'm going to do if this keeps up, I'm back to wear I was., maybe worse. I feel he will want to lower my pain meds a little at the next appointment on February 4, but if this doesn't get better to some degree by then I don't know what I'm going to do.

My whole goal for this surgery was to reduce signicately or elimate the pain so I wouldn't need pain meds as I hate the side affects that come with the pain relief that almost make you someone else. I feel like I going down the tubes without much I can do. He did tell me that if this surgery didn't eliminate most of the pain there where other things he could do. I sure hope there is an d soon. This is a very depressing situation. Please drop a prayer for me if you have time and any ideas or just thoughts will be appreciated.

God Bless you all and I pray for all of you to be pain free.

• I am so sorry that you are not doing any better and are actually getting worse. You will most definately be in my thoughts and prayers. Do you not see your doc until Feb 4th? Could you call him with your concerns? How have you been making out at home, are you getting enough help and rest? Have you been able to do some walking or is it too painful?
    All the best to you, I will be hoping and praying that you feel better!
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • No can't get out the house, walking to rough and unstable. I called the doc but they say got to wait to the 4th so they see if the pain gets better. I don't know what to do sometimes because they act like this is so unusal that maybe they doubt me. It's very frustrating and depressing. I just will depend on God's help because I really wanted to get off pain pills, but the way it stands I don't see how I can at this point, I just hope they realize that. I hate not being in control of my life.

Thanks for the post, God Bless,

AL S
  • Have you any sort of case manager or primary care physician who is the hub of your health care? When I found things going haywire, the key was to have one doc who was the central focus. Surgeons are great, but they seem to lack in the logistical management of the whole patient. Doctors tend to have an easier time speaking with other doctors and surgeons, which can work in your favor if you have someone who can quarterback for you.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. You've been through so much with the two surgeries so close together. It's still early in your recovery and sometimes we get worse before we get better. I wouldn't worry to much about them lowering your meds at your next visit. You'll only cause yourself more stress which will/can increase your pain. I know that's easier said than done...believe me. It is true though. I hope that soon you'll see a big improvement in your pain and will be really starting to recover. I know how discouraged you feel and certainly do understand it.

I'm sorry I haven't been here for you lately Al. I promise to do better. Keep the faith my friend. There will be better times ahead for you. Your pain will lessen and you can reduce your pain meds in time...positive thinking >:D<