Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aspen Spinous Process Fixation

krittylukkrittylu Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Went in for a tlif with screws and rods, but after performing the interbody fusion, the doc decided to use the above mentioned clamp instead of the rods and screws. The jury for me is still out as the surgery was by no means minimally invasive. There really isn't much info available om the Aspen, but at least I haven't located any hate stories about it. Today is my one month anniversary so I'm still dealing with the immediate post surgical recovery. Has anyone else had an Aspen clamp done?

• You're out on the leading edge with this one. It is very new. I've been reading about lots of technology for the past few years. I hadn't seen this one yet. It was approved by some insurance companies mid-2010. There is a clinical trial study going on for it now in ALIF. Study is dated 11/2009 - 11/2012 with 156 patients. So there is no long term and not much short term data on it.

While we can't help you with an answer on this form of surgery. It would be nice if you posted feedback ongoing with your results. I and a few others here have been involved in the newer type surgeries and posted our outcomes. It gives others something to search for. We're guinea pigs compared to most on here who have very traditional fusions.

Good luck!
  • I arrived at the hospital on the day of surgery a well educated patient on a TLIF with rods and screws. Was utterly witless when I found out the surgeon changed plans. But, as one of my fellow Spineys here, its like a Christmas present,ya never know what your gonna get once the surgeon lays eyes on your anatomy for the first time. I definitely plan to continue the search. I'll admit, the first search I did once I got home pulled up that clinical trial and I was like sh*t, I'm a dang guinea pig. But once it sank in that they were trying to install these puppies anteriorly, I reaized that at least I wasn't some unwitting participant ina clinical trial. I spoke to the doc a few days ago as he showed be the interbody cages and actually showed me how the sucker was clamped on back there, I was a little relieved I didn't have to get drilled for the screws which sometimes break, bend, or hit a nerve. Tonight I feel lucky. When I asked if insurance paid for this device, he said absolutely, he's been using the device for a couple of years. That made me feel better. Additionally, he said they used the bmp to fill the holes in the device to help the fusion posteriorly as well.
    I intend to continue to offer feedback and I hope others will join this conversation too.

Lastly, due to some high risk things on my end, he ordered a bone stimulator for me, so am currently waiting to see if we can get insurance to pay for it. Will update when I have news.

• Hi, I also had the Aspen Spinous Process Fixation installed on November 29 2010 (L5/S1). So far so good. In fact I have to keep reminding myself to be careful. I will admit, I was a little more sore than I anticipated but after about 6-8 weeks I felt really good. Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your status and I will do the same.