Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi -- New here

TashTTash Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi there - New here. 51-y-o female with chronic right hip pain/down leg into foot associated with low back pain. Went to a chiropractor and he told me I had osteoarthritis in L1 through L5 and S1 and also in C4 through C6. Ha - never had any problems in my life. Always active. Just BOOM - got out of bed 1 morning with the hip pain. This started 3 months ago. It was not too bad at first. I could work it out. But now the pain is different. It is 24/7, chronic, throbbing, and now causing some spastic jerks and going into the other leg. Have been doing the ice/heat, lying of floor with legs up. All the herbs, diet, menthol topicals, everything I can think of. My insides are sick from all the ibuprofen I have to take. Scared to go to hospital. Go back to chiropractor? He wanted $5400 up front. No insurance.

• Sorry to hear about your pain. The only reason I would go to the Chiropractor is to get him to do x-rays and an MRI but not for treatment other than TENS or massage. My Chiropractor wouldn't touch me with a herniated disc not saying that's what you have but he should do more tests and no manipulation until you know what's causing this. Maybe ER could help you with testing or a free clinic or a University teaching hospital may be free treatment. I don't know if you're eligible for Medicaid but that may help with payment. Take care and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • If you have one nearby you can check out a teaching Hospital.

I would suggest that call the state and speak to some one about your lack of insurance- I know here since the " health care reform" some local comercials have popped up about low cost insurance for people with pre-existing conditions.

If you were my sister or mother I would tell you to get a second opinion from a real medical doctor (they will order tests like the MRI and refer you for treatment if you need it). They will also give you prescriptions for medication that don't kill your stomach and your liver and you can get them at Walmart for $4 if you need to... Hernations can happen in your sleep or from a simple cough or sneeze. It sounds like you may have some kind of nerve compression from your description.

Feel Better,

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    How did this chiro diagnose where your arthritis was?
    Did he put on his x-ray glasses or something?

Also ... did he give you a breakdown of exactally what would be included in his $5400.00 fee. Was that just to treat your neck or back problem or both?
    Did that include follow up visits and "medications".
    Sounds like an incredible package deal to me!!

Seriously now ... If you are in that much pain - discomfort go to the best nearby E.R. and get to conventional medical workup by an M.D. or D.O. .. maybe an x-ray or cat scan would be appropriate.
    Let a conventional medical doctor make those calls.

If you have a primary care type doctor you have seen in the past ... give him or her a call ... and/or make an appointment.

There are a number of good suggestions in the above threads as to how to handle the $ aspects of all this. Don't short change your care by accepting a package deal, at a predetermined rate by a provider that has limited scope to render all treatment that maybe approriate and required based on what is really going on.

Money needs to be a secondary concern .... diagnosing and determining your status is of primary concern at this point.

$5400.00? thats very interesting.

Keep us posted,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have been given lots of good advice and i too would watch out for any "package" deal up front! we are only a few years apart in age and i know of some of the problems that come with getting older and having back problems! have you tried any of the nerve pain medications such as Lyrica, for the pain in your leg? talk to your doctor! good luck! i hope you feel better soon! Jenny