Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared thinking about surgery tomorrow!!

HarleyjanetHHarleyjanet Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Spinal decompression and fusion L4-5 tomorrow..
What can I expect when I get home in a couple days? VERY nervous now that the time is here!!

• To you on your surgery tomorrow! I have only had a PLIF fusion and decompression so I can tell you about my experiences with that if you are in that arena, but there are lots of other types of fusion surgeries that others can tell you more about I know.

Another thing I can tell you for sure is that if you expect one thing - you will probably get another instead:)
  • Your anxiety about tomorrow is very much expected...You are having a major surgery and it scares the $&^%&% out of you!

Your main concern right now is to try and relax...I know it's not easy! Waking up from the actual surgery was my biggest problem for the anesthesia made me nauseous and I had the most unbearable pain at the surgical sight, If you encounter this, tell them immediately and they will medicate you further and it will pass very soon...I was hungry as soon as I made it back to my room. The first few hours after surgery and the first night should be your hardest...but remember you will be constantly medicated so you will be fine. Once you go home, make sure you have everything you might want or need within reach, stay ahead of your pain by taking your meds regularly, and if you have any worries or concerns, call your Dr. immediately.

Good luck tomorrow and let everyone know how you are doing when you feel up to it!

• Your fear is understandable. I had two complicated fusions this year, each one about eight hours with ICU the first day. That being said, the people in the hospital and my family were so great that it was ok. Like others have said, they will give you good meds, just try to stay on top of the pain - get something before it gets out of control. I had a family member stay with me the first two nights because there are little things you need from them or a nurse and if you are confused, they can help with your care. The way I keep from getting nervous before they put me under is to sing songs, either in my head or out loud - for me I sing any Christian song God brings to mind - He gave me unbelieveable peace this way. My prayers for you tomorrow. It will go fine!
  • at the hospital if you are having alot of anxiety before the surgery and many times the anesthesiologist will order something to help you relax - this is especially helpful if you end up waiting to go to the OR due to someone Else's surgery going longer than planned.
  • Just wanted to say I'm sending good thoughts and prayers to you tomorrow!

I know how scary surgery is. I have had 2 back surgeries (microdiscectomies) that are 'out-patient' surgeries (but stayed over both times as precaution).

I say try to stay calm...do something for yourself the next few hours - light a relaxing scent candle, eat a brownie, have a glass of wine, take a shower, listen to music, get a hug...it won't remove your fears but it's ok to let yourself be spoiled a little.

I know the surgical staff from the time you walk in are there to answer your questions and settle your fears. I was told I was welcome to take my valium up to the surgery (just had to tell them) and it might be an option if you are really nervous.

I can't tell you what to expect b/c I haven't had a fusion. I can tell you that you are the patient and if you aren't feeling well, politely but firmly let the staff know and they will attend to you.

Wishing you well!

• there are lots of us here who have experienced the anxiety that you are going through.

I had a decompression with L4/L5 PLIF fusion last March.

I had been very nervous of having surgery, so had avoided it completely for a couple of years until I was really struggling and my surgeon told me that if I continued to try to avoid it, I would end up in a wheelchair. At that point, I prayed for God to help me face the inevitable. Like adventurer, I received the most amazing peace. I also used Christian music in the hospital and afterwards at home, which helped me to relax, stay calm and cope with the pain.

The recovery is going to be rough, but do let them know if the pain is too much for you. I was worried about suffering with sickness as I woke up and expressed this to the anesthetist. She made sure that I was given medication to prevent it, and I didn't suffer at all.

I'll be thinking of you Janet. (I'll pray for you if you like :-))
    Funny, I was talking to someone this morning who was telling me about her mum, Janet who is to have L4/L5 fusion surgery tomorrow. (You are not in the UK are you?)

We will be here after your surgery to cheer you on. Please come back and tell us how you are doing. :D

Welcome to Spine Health :H You joined us quite late, but better late than never ;)

• Can't speak for everyone here, I think you'll find that for the most part people's individual experiences vary greatly, particularly long term.

Speaking in general, my experience has been one of very gradual improvement, not that every day I feel better than the last but a slow improvement over time.

Reading the forums here and finally posting myself has been very helpful. Just to know there's others in the same or similar situation is a big help.

• I hope that all has gone well, and that your pain will be well controlled when you wake up. :-)

I'll look forward to hearing how you are getting on once you are able to post again.
  • Just checking in to see how you are doing. Wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hopefully by now you are on the other side and are being kept as comfortable as possible. Please update us when you are able. Wishing you all the best with your recovery.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012