Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discography - Did anyone get the number of the bus that hit me?

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
Anyone out there ever have a Discogram? I had one a week ago and it was probably the worst pain I've ever had. The doctor woke me up in the OR and the next thing i know I was screaming and flailing on the table and they had to restrain my legs and put me back to sleep. I woke up in recovery crying. I am 6'4, 260 pounds, former college athlete and I was crying like a baby.

Is this procedure supposed to go that way?

I have my follow up tomorrow morning with my PM and i feel like starting the meeting off by punching him in the face - but of course I won't. Since the discogram I havent been without pain in my legs and back. It's been awful (I know, poor me). The PM said that he couldnt get into the L5/S1 because there was too much scar tissue from the laminectomy so he hit the L4/L5 with the dye/pressure and that is what lit me up like a Christmas tree.

If anyone has had experience with the discogram I would greatly appreciate an answer. Thank you.

• I have had 4 of them for lower lumbar. I was never put out for any of them. And yes, they were very painful. But the worst part of it was when they injected the dye, and put the pressure. Once he let up, he added lidocane to decrease the pain.
    It did increase the level of pain in my back for a week or so. Not so much that my pain meds and rest didnt help.
    When do you get the results of the discogram. It appears that you have problems if you felt that much pain, but I am no Dr. Please let us know what you find out, and hope you can get some help with your pain.
  • I haven't had a discogram, but when I was in the center waiting in my bed for my first facet injections, they wheeled a young lady in across from me (my curtain was open) and she was screaming at the top of her lungs and crying like crazy. Knowing what I do, I had assumed she had a discogram, and went for a CT scan immediately after they got her calmed down with meds.

So I know that they're painful, and if they've been done right, in a way that's a good thing because that means they've probably found the offending disc. I know that doesn't help the pain, but it tells a story.

FYI: my nurse, after they brought in that poor girl, she rushed to my bedside and whispered urgently that I would NOT be going through that, that I absolutely would NOT be feeling that much pain with my procedure. She was so nice to let me know that, although I was pretty sure already that I wouldn't be experiencing that.

So, just wanted to pop on and let you know that I've heard the stories and know how painful they are. I also want to welcome you to Spine-Health - there's a wealth of information around the site and the members of the forum are very knowledgeable, helpful and supportive. I hope you choose to hang around a while.

• Hi Cath111 and iowarobin;
    Thanks for the reply. I go see my PM today so I will let you know what happens. Clearly they found something or else I wouldnt have jumped off the table like that.

BTW - have either of you had experience with Exalgo? My PM says it is for people who are more used to Hydrocodone. I'm trying it now but it is a love hate relationship. It does take some of the daily pain away but makes me nauseus. I saw that was one of the side effects.

I will stick around Cath111. There is a lot of good information here you can stay up all night reading if you want. What a great resource. Thanks.
  • I had a lumbar discogram several years ago. I don't remember anything about the actual procedure, but for the week following the discogram, I had worsening pain in my left leg, each day it seemed to travel lower into my leg and foot. It hurt bad, much worse than the normal pain I had been experiencing, My NS pretty much blew it off. It was odd, I really wish I knew what it meant.
  • i have had two. one very painful even when they put you sort of out. you are awake but not awake. i did not remember anything but dr said i was moaning. good diagnostic tool. dye will diffuse out of disc if herniated disc and the pain will mimic your pain. second one was not that bad. i would rather not have one but what the ....... if you gotta have one, get it done.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Sooo sorry you had to have the discography... I too had the same pain. I remember yelling. And trying to get up but realized they had strapped my shoulders, waist, hips down. I know why.. Yes I was a crying mess. But glad to have gotten answers at that point. Sorry you suffered. I was told it was like medieval torture ...
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Was a piece of cake. They treated me with tender loving care. I was put out cause the pm knew what a sissy I was 6 ft. 210 lbs. They only woke me up enough to feel the pressure. And afterwards I went to recovery. And they put me in la, la land and wouldn't let me go home till the pain level was down to 3.
    So I wasn't scared on the second one many years later. In fact I couldn't understand why all of the people who were complaining were such sissies.
    well the second one was entirely different! They gave me NOTHING! :jawdrop: and during the procedure I screamed and cried, and begged him to stop. Then he hit a nerve and I learned that there was a whole new pain scale. And told him it had to be a 12 and I wanted to kick his a$$. X( Then I told him there is no way you can send me home like this!
    He had the nurse give me a double dose of Demerol. And within 20 min we were friends again. :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.